Dec 30, 2009, 1:28 PM EDT
I’m not going to say that the hot stove season moves a bit too fast for its own good these days, but it was probably only a matter of time before this happened:
It turns out that the power-hitting back-up catcher who everyone reported that the Blue Jays had signed earlier this month is still a free agent. The Jays never did sign him, despite getting involved in negotiations with him. I’m not sure how or why it fell through, or if it even got close enough to reach the point where one can even accurately say that it ‘fell through’, but it didn’t happen.
Jorge Arangue reported that Castro signed (or that his signing was imminent). MLB.com had it too. MLB Trade Rumors picked it up. We picked it up. So did a bunch of other people. As I mentioned last week, we’ve gotten to the point where most of us don’t wait around for the official announcement before running with stuff. I’m actually surprised other, low-wattage deals haven’t fallen through, only to escape the notice of the tweeting masses. It’s probably something all of us in the rumor-mongering business should pay a bit closer attention to going forward.
But you know what would be cool? If Castro just showed up at Jays camp like Willie Mays Hayes and acted like he was on the team anyway. Wouldn’t it be awkward if no one said anything until after he beat out John Buck?
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)