Ryan Braun, Scott Feldman honored

Dec 30, 2009, 3:31 PM EST

And you thought the awards season was over:

Professional baseball stars Ryan Braun and Scott Feldman received
off-season honors December 23, getting named the Most Valuable Jewish
Players of the Year by an organization dedicated to celebrating Jews in
the national pastime.

Jewish Major Leaguers, a
Newton, Mass., not-for-profit, selected Braun as its player of the year
and Feldman as its pitcher of the year. This is the second time the
organization has awarded the titles. (Players honored by Jewish Major
Leaguers must identify as Jewish and have a Jewish parent, or be
converts.)

I’m struggling to think of one reason why the organization doesn’t call their hitter of the year honor “The Hank Greenberg Award” and their pitcher of the year honor “The Sandy Koufax Award.”  They’d certainly get a lot more press if they did. Maybe there are some legal implications here. I wouldn’t know. The State of Ohio just sent me my letter officially designating me an “inactive” lawyer now that I’ve left my legal practice. Going forward, if I pretend to know anything about the law I’m probably violating some ethical rules or something.

Anyway, a hearty Mazel Tov to Messers. Braun and Feldman.

1. JE - Dec 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Does this mean no more CLE classes, Craig? ;-)

2. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 30, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Indeed it does. In fact, it’s the primary reason I went inactive. If I didnt’t, I’d likely be sitting in a class right now, frantically trying to make up my deficit for the biennium.

3. JE - Dec 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Hehehe! From the LSAT, to classes, BarBri, the Bar, and CLE, the law is quite the racket!

4. Matt - Dec 30, 2009 at 7:05 PM

It sure isn’t my place to say, but Ryan Braun isn’t Jewish.

5. GimmeSomeSteel - Dec 30, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Under Jewish religious law, he’s not Jewish, since his mother isn’t Jewish. However, he doesn’t disavow his father’s religion. That’s close enough for those of us who are Jewish but not religious.

6. BTCF - Dec 31, 2009 at 10:02 AM

It’s Feldman…. From across the hall

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4837)