Dec 30, 2009, 4:00 PM EDT
You’d figure that if anyone was going to hire Mike Bordick as a coach it would be to coach defense considering, you know, that he was one of the best defensive players in the game back in the day. Nope, he’s going to be a roving small ball coach:
The club signed a one-year deal with former Oriole Mike Bordick this month to become its new minor league offensive coordinator.
Bordick, 44, will be responsible for working with the club’s prospects
on offensive fundamentals such as base running, bunting and situational
Well, that’s valuable too, I suppose.
It seems like a million years ago that Bordick played, let alone played for the Orioles. Then, looking him up a second ago, I was reminded that he was traded away from Baltimore for Melvin Mora. The Melvin Mora who was still playing for the O’s this past season. I’m not sure if that should make feel old or make me feel that Mora is old.
Not that we have to choose between one and the other.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 298
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (299)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)