Dec 30, 2009, 4:00 PM EDT
You’d figure that if anyone was going to hire Mike Bordick as a coach it would be to coach defense considering, you know, that he was one of the best defensive players in the game back in the day. Nope, he’s going to be a roving small ball coach:
The club signed a one-year deal with former Oriole Mike Bordick this month to become its new minor league offensive coordinator.
Bordick, 44, will be responsible for working with the club’s prospects
on offensive fundamentals such as base running, bunting and situational
Well, that’s valuable too, I suppose.
It seems like a million years ago that Bordick played, let alone played for the Orioles. Then, looking him up a second ago, I was reminded that he was traded away from Baltimore for Melvin Mora. The Melvin Mora who was still playing for the O’s this past season. I’m not sure if that should make feel old or make me feel that Mora is old.
Not that we have to choose between one and the other.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 2
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 80
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (80)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)