Dec 30, 2009, 2:56 PM EDT
UPDATE: “Andy MacPhail vehemently denied a report today from Foxsports.com that said the club had made an 8-year, $130 million offer to free-agent outfielder Matt Holliday.” Buster Olney‘s source: “The story is not accurate in any respect.”
Ahem. I wonder if someone, say, an agent known for trying to create the perception of high demand for his clients, had anything to do with getting that little nugget out there?
2:54 P.M.: Following up on yesterday’s stuff about the Cardinals’ optimism regarding Matt Holliday comes word from FOX’s Tracy Ringolsby that the Orioles, who had previously been sniffing around Holliday, could be more serious players than we first thought:
Baltimore, meanwhile, did make an eight-year, $130 million offer to
Holliday, and general manager Andy MacPhail did discuss the possibility
of arranging a meeting between himself, Orioles owner Peter Angelos and
Holliday in Austin, Tex., where Holliday is living in the offseason.
$130 million over eight years is $16.25 million a year. That’s way more playable than I think anyone had assumed Baltimore’s offer to be, and certainly looks a lot nicer a few weeks deeper into the offseason. I would assume that, like the Cardinals’ offer, which is reportedly in the $15-16 million range, some of those years are all vesty and optiony.
But if there’s any movement on that — say, one extra guaranteed year or some easing up on the rigor of the vesting — Holliday could easily wind up in Baltimore instead of St. Louis. And the fact that the Orioles are willing to talk to Holliday about this some more suggests that there could be movement.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)