Today's Matt Holliday rumors don't pass the smell test

Dec 30, 2009, 8:47 PM EDT

Jon Heyman ads a smidgen more to Buster’s earlier tweet:

“[The Cardinals] offered holliday
at least 6 years and $100-million-plus at some point. but he didnt
accept and is still talking to multiple teams

That particular wording doesn’t necessarily clarify anything. “[A]t least
6 years” could still mean that it was $100 million over, say, eight
years with option years as a part of that.  “he didn’t accept” doesn’t
mean that he rejected it, and “is still talking to multiple teams”
doesn’t mean that they’re seriously talking back to him. Despite what appears to be an attempt by someone to show otherwise, there’s nothing here that suggests anything new in the Cardinals-Holliday relationship.

Indeed, the events of today — from the baloney Ringolsby report about the Orioles offer
to this slow leak of an offer from the Cardinals that seems geared to
sound higher than it really is smacks of Boras trying to talk up
Holliday’s market and create some energy where not much exists. I
suspect that there’s panic on the streets of Newport Beach after the
Bay deal and the Yankees’ firm statement that they’re not interested. Holliday and Boras know that there’s not much else
out there besides the Cardinals offer and they’re trying to drum something up.

If there really are “other teams,” as first Ringolsby and now Heyman report, I’d love for someone to name one
without having it denied ten minutes later. Until then, I’m going to
believe that this is just a lot of smoke, and it’s the result of Boras
rubbing sticks together, not any heat emanating from any real pursuit
of Matt Holliday.

1. Robinson42 - Dec 30, 2009 at 10:59 PM

I’m not shocked. When are rival writers (like a column writer) going to call Heyman out on being such a schill for Scott Boras? I know someone at Rotoword has. But Heyman doesn’t break stories much and rarely has a “scoop” unless it involves a Boras client.

2. Robinson42 - Dec 30, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Cards maybe close to Deal:

3. Old Gator - Dec 31, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Craig, if Boras planted the story, what you smell is probably pheromones. He’s just jerking off again.

4. Levi Stahl - Dec 31, 2009 at 9:25 AM

This has all played out much, much better–thus far–than I had any hopes of going into the offseason. I had almost resigned myself to the two less-than-stellar options of either seeing someone like Xavier Nady out there every day or seeing the Cardinals wildly overpay for Holliday. Crossing my fingers, but this rumor suggests that maybe neither will be the case.

5. Carroll B. Merriman - Feb 3, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Hey, This is a good thread. I found you on msn. Keep up the work.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3711)