Dec 30, 2009, 11:32 PM EDT
No, Chapman is a largely unknown flame-thrower from Cuba with tantalizing talents of Nuke LaLouche proportions. He has been attracting plenty of interest around baseball, but it remains a mystery as to who will get him.
The Yankees seem particularly interested, at least when you look at these quotes from senior vice-president of baseball operations Mark Newman in an interview with LoHud.com:
“Who knows what the price tag is going to be on this deal,” Newman said. “He’s not where (Stephen) Strasburg was.” When Chapman threw a bullpen for scouts earlier this month, Newman said the reports were exactly what he expected: Huge fastball. Spotty command. Inconsistent secondary pitches. “But if you don’t like that, you need to be in another business,” Newman said.
Newman also said that if the Yankees sign him, Chapman would likely start in A or Double-A as he works on improving his control and off-speed stuff. “And when he gets that, he’s going to take off.”
Some candid quotes about an intriguing player. It will be interesting to see where Chapman winds up.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 50
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)