Bill Conlin's less-than-perfect Hall of Fame ballot

Dec 31, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT

There will probably be a lot of these today. They’re all kind of fun on some level. Here’s Bill Conlin’s: Blyleven, Morris, Dawson, Alomar, Martinez and McGriff.

Conlin has been on the Morris bandwagon for a while so that’s expected. At least he pairs him up with Blyleven. I’m surprised to see him go for Martinez, but Conlin, for as grumpy as he can be, can also be somewhat unpredictable. Along those lines I’m rather surprised not to see Barry Larkin here. Especially when, earlier in the column, he described Larkin thusly:

First shortstop to join the 30-30 club when he hit 33 homers and stole
36 bases in 1996. A legitimate five-tooler, Barry spent his entire
19-year career with the Reds and went to 12 All-Star Games. A Spalding Guide player, Larkin played short with the same economy and grace that Mike Schmidt displayed at third.

And he doesn’t seem too torn about leaving him out, as he voices some regrets for not voting in Andres Gallaraga for cryin’ out loud, but not Larkin. Either way, I’m struggling to see what in the above quote constitutes an argument against Larkin in Conlin’s mind. And besides, I get the sense that enough people feel differently about him to where he’ll make it in.

1. Beanster - Dec 31, 2009 at 10:37 AM

There have been far too few posts extolling the virtues and HoF credentials of The Big Cat. I mean, El Gran Gato alone is one of the best nicknames of the last 20 years.

2. DiamondDuq - Dec 31, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Good point Beanster. While I don’t believe he belongs in the HOF, he doesn’t get nearly the attention of Andre Dawson even when his 162 game averages are better than Dawson’s. He also has a batting title to go with his HR title and two RBI titles compared to just one HR and one RBI title for Dawson. I don’t think either were HOF caliber but if people are going to fight so hard for Dawson where’s the Galarraga love?

3. HP3 - Jan 1, 2010 at 7:33 AM

I have always had the feeling that Conlin was one of those guys who NEVER votes for anyone on their first ballot. I’ll bet he didn’t vote for Aaron, Mays or Seaver just to make sure no one would ever be unanimous.

4. HP3 - Jan 1, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Oops. Conlin voted for Alomar. My bad.

5. stavro - Jan 1, 2010 at 12:12 PM

alommar 100 percent. best second baseman to ever walk the planet

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3783)