Dec 31, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
There will probably be a lot of these today. They’re all kind of fun on some level. Here’s Bill Conlin’s: Blyleven, Morris, Dawson, Alomar, Martinez and McGriff.
Conlin has been on the Morris bandwagon for a while so that’s expected. At least he pairs him up with Blyleven. I’m surprised to see him go for Martinez, but Conlin, for as grumpy as he can be, can also be somewhat unpredictable. Along those lines I’m rather surprised not to see Barry Larkin here. Especially when, earlier in the column, he described Larkin thusly:
First shortstop to join the 30-30 club when he hit 33 homers and stole
36 bases in 1996. A legitimate five-tooler, Barry spent his entire
19-year career with the Reds and went to 12 All-Star Games. A Spalding Guide player, Larkin played short with the same economy and grace that Mike Schmidt displayed at third.
And he doesn’t seem too torn about leaving him out, as he voices some regrets for not voting in Andres Gallaraga for cryin’ out loud, but not Larkin. Either way, I’m struggling to see what in the above quote constitutes an argument against Larkin in Conlin’s mind. And besides, I get the sense that enough people feel differently about him to where he’ll make it in.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (114)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)