Dec 31, 2009, 8:25 AM EST
Yesterday I said that there were no perfect Hall of Fame ballots. I should have waited to see Newsday’s Ken Davidoff’s before I said that, because his is pretty close to perfect: Alomar, Blyleven, Larkin, Martinez, McGwire, Raines, Trammell.
There is no one on that list I wouldn’t include on my own ballot. There is no one on the current ballot with the possible exception of Fred McGriff who I think deserves enshrinement who isn’t listed above, and like I said yesterday, McGriff is a damn close call for me and I understand that reasonable people disagree on him. I think we’ll find come January 6th that neither Matinez, McGwire, Raines nor Trammell will even approach the 75% required to get in, but seeing them on more and more ballots is really encouraging.
Nice going, Ken.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)