Dec 31, 2009, 2:23 AM EDT
Mike Lowell had surgery on his thumb on Wednesday, and it was horribly unsuccessful. The thumb was accidentally cut off by surgeons, and in their haste to fix the error, they sewed it back on the wrong hand.
Just kidding, folks. Lowell did have surgery (I wasn’t kidding about that) but as the headline on Peter Abraham’s Boston Globe story says, it was, indeed “a success.”
According to the report, Lowell was discovered to have “a 95-percent tear in the radial collateral ligament in his thumb.”
He’ll head home to Florida and enter what is expected to be 6-8 weeks of recovery time. The Red Sox hope he will ready for “baseball activities” during spring training, presumably so they can look into finding someone to take his $12 million contract off their hands. Rangers still interested?
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 7
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 44
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 83
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 68
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)