Dec 31, 2009, 2:17 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Gordon Wittemyer of the Chicago Sun-Times, the Byrd deal is backloaded: $3 million this year, $5.5 million in 2011 and $6.5 million in 2012.
I guess that’s because Byrd is gonna get more valuable as time goes on.
12:22 P.M.: Rosenthal just tweeted that it’s happening. A three year deal, details to be announced later today. UPDATE: It’s $15 million.
Three years. Mercy.
Byrd is 32 years old. He’s an average defensive centerfielder who, if he is not better suited to a corner now, certainly will be by the end of this deal. He has had some recent offensive success, but it was largely a product of playing in the Ballpark in Arlington.
While his overall OPSs for the past three seasons have been 814, 842 and 808, he was 715, 773 and 740 on the road. As our own Matthew Pouliot said a couple of weeks ago, an Alfonso Soriano-Byrd-Kosuke
Fukudome outfield is going to be an awful lot more expensive than it
will be productive.
Happy New Year, Cubs fans.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)