Dec 31, 2009, 2:17 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Gordon Wittemyer of the Chicago Sun-Times, the Byrd deal is backloaded: $3 million this year, $5.5 million in 2011 and $6.5 million in 2012.
I guess that’s because Byrd is gonna get more valuable as time goes on.
12:22 P.M.: Rosenthal just tweeted that it’s happening. A three year deal, details to be announced later today. UPDATE: It’s $15 million.
Three years. Mercy.
Byrd is 32 years old. He’s an average defensive centerfielder who, if he is not better suited to a corner now, certainly will be by the end of this deal. He has had some recent offensive success, but it was largely a product of playing in the Ballpark in Arlington.
While his overall OPSs for the past three seasons have been 814, 842 and 808, he was 715, 773 and 740 on the road. As our own Matthew Pouliot said a couple of weeks ago, an Alfonso Soriano-Byrd-Kosuke
Fukudome outfield is going to be an awful lot more expensive than it
will be productive.
Happy New Year, Cubs fans.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 282
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (282)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)