Dec 31, 2009, 10:00 AM EDT
I’ll be honest: I miss those halcyon days of the late 90s when guys like Pat Meares would get $15 million deals. Sure, we still see stinkers, but not in the sheer volume we used to. Now we’re left with only one or two total head scratchers every winter.
There’s still plenty of time for teams to make bad deals this winter –
after all, the Mets haven’t given Bengie Molina the three years he
wants yet — but the last day of 2009 isn’t a bad place to stop and
take stock of the awfulness that has so far transpired. FOX’s Dayn Perry does the honors today, looking at the five worst transactions so far. Click through for his rationale, but the five he picks are (1) the Brandon Lyon deal; (2) The Diamondbacks’ part of the Granderson deal; (3) The Cubs part of the Milton Bradley deal; (4) Fernando Rodney to the Angels; and (5) the White Sox taking on Juan Pierre.
I’d like to thank Dayn for not including any of the brilliant moves I made as I freight-trained towards last place in the DiamondMind league he runs and in which I participate. Just know that my team — the Matewan Massacre — would sign Pat Mears in a heartbeat. He’s a gamer, you know, and you can’t get enough gamers in fantasy baseball.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 42
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 48
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)