Dec 31, 2009, 10:00 AM EDT
I’ll be honest: I miss those halcyon days of the late 90s when guys like Pat Meares would get $15 million deals. Sure, we still see stinkers, but not in the sheer volume we used to. Now we’re left with only one or two total head scratchers every winter.
There’s still plenty of time for teams to make bad deals this winter –
after all, the Mets haven’t given Bengie Molina the three years he
wants yet — but the last day of 2009 isn’t a bad place to stop and
take stock of the awfulness that has so far transpired. FOX’s Dayn Perry does the honors today, looking at the five worst transactions so far. Click through for his rationale, but the five he picks are (1) the Brandon Lyon deal; (2) The Diamondbacks’ part of the Granderson deal; (3) The Cubs part of the Milton Bradley deal; (4) Fernando Rodney to the Angels; and (5) the White Sox taking on Juan Pierre.
I’d like to thank Dayn for not including any of the brilliant moves I made as I freight-trained towards last place in the DiamondMind league he runs and in which I participate. Just know that my team — the Matewan Massacre — would sign Pat Mears in a heartbeat. He’s a gamer, you know, and you can’t get enough gamers in fantasy baseball.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)