Dec 31, 2009, 10:00 AM EDT
I’ll be honest: I miss those halcyon days of the late 90s when guys like Pat Meares would get $15 million deals. Sure, we still see stinkers, but not in the sheer volume we used to. Now we’re left with only one or two total head scratchers every winter.
There’s still plenty of time for teams to make bad deals this winter –
after all, the Mets haven’t given Bengie Molina the three years he
wants yet — but the last day of 2009 isn’t a bad place to stop and
take stock of the awfulness that has so far transpired. FOX’s Dayn Perry does the honors today, looking at the five worst transactions so far. Click through for his rationale, but the five he picks are (1) the Brandon Lyon deal; (2) The Diamondbacks’ part of the Granderson deal; (3) The Cubs part of the Milton Bradley deal; (4) Fernando Rodney to the Angels; and (5) the White Sox taking on Juan Pierre.
I’d like to thank Dayn for not including any of the brilliant moves I made as I freight-trained towards last place in the DiamondMind league he runs and in which I participate. Just know that my team — the Matewan Massacre — would sign Pat Mears in a heartbeat. He’s a gamer, you know, and you can’t get enough gamers in fantasy baseball.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming