Dec 31, 2009, 10:00 AM EDT
I’ll be honest: I miss those halcyon days of the late 90s when guys like Pat Meares would get $15 million deals. Sure, we still see stinkers, but not in the sheer volume we used to. Now we’re left with only one or two total head scratchers every winter.
There’s still plenty of time for teams to make bad deals this winter –
after all, the Mets haven’t given Bengie Molina the three years he
wants yet — but the last day of 2009 isn’t a bad place to stop and
take stock of the awfulness that has so far transpired. FOX’s Dayn Perry does the honors today, looking at the five worst transactions so far. Click through for his rationale, but the five he picks are (1) the Brandon Lyon deal; (2) The Diamondbacks’ part of the Granderson deal; (3) The Cubs part of the Milton Bradley deal; (4) Fernando Rodney to the Angels; and (5) the White Sox taking on Juan Pierre.
I’d like to thank Dayn for not including any of the brilliant moves I made as I freight-trained towards last place in the DiamondMind league he runs and in which I participate. Just know that my team — the Matewan Massacre — would sign Pat Mears in a heartbeat. He’s a gamer, you know, and you can’t get enough gamers in fantasy baseball.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 190
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)