Dec 31, 2009, 9:25 AM EDT
The Rockies were playing footsies with Yorvit Torrealba earlier this month, reportedly close to a deal to bring him back to Colorado, probably as Chris Ianetta’s backup, but maybe more as an 1-1A setup. Now, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, they appear to have moved away from him, and have signed Miguel Olivo to a one year deal.
Where does that leave Torrealba? Kind of screwed, actually. Renck reports that the Rockies had offered him $6 million over two years, and that the only holdup was whether the money would be allocated in a buyout as opposed to base salary. Seems like a dumb argument to have from Torrealba’s perspective, given that it doesn’t seem likely that anyone out there would pay him that much money regardless of how you slice it up. Pudge got a contract like that. Jason Kendall got a couple of years and too much money too. With the Nats and Royals out of the equation, we’re dangerously close to running out of teams who would make such a dumb decision.
Renck says the Giants and Mets are still interested. Torrealba would probably be a smarter play for New York than giving too much money to Bengie Molina. The Giants have Buster Posey so don’t really need to pay real money for a veteran catcher, but don’t tell them that. He’ll probably end up in one of those places.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)