Dec 31, 2009, 9:25 AM EST
The Rockies were playing footsies with Yorvit Torrealba earlier this month, reportedly close to a deal to bring him back to Colorado, probably as Chris Ianetta’s backup, but maybe more as an 1-1A setup. Now, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, they appear to have moved away from him, and have signed Miguel Olivo to a one year deal.
Where does that leave Torrealba? Kind of screwed, actually. Renck reports that the Rockies had offered him $6 million over two years, and that the only holdup was whether the money would be allocated in a buyout as opposed to base salary. Seems like a dumb argument to have from Torrealba’s perspective, given that it doesn’t seem likely that anyone out there would pay him that much money regardless of how you slice it up. Pudge got a contract like that. Jason Kendall got a couple of years and too much money too. With the Nats and Royals out of the equation, we’re dangerously close to running out of teams who would make such a dumb decision.
Renck says the Giants and Mets are still interested. Torrealba would probably be a smarter play for New York than giving too much money to Bengie Molina. The Giants have Buster Posey so don’t really need to pay real money for a veteran catcher, but don’t tell them that. He’ll probably end up in one of those places.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)