Dec 31, 2009, 9:25 AM EST
The Rockies were playing footsies with Yorvit Torrealba earlier this month, reportedly close to a deal to bring him back to Colorado, probably as Chris Ianetta’s backup, but maybe more as an 1-1A setup. Now, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, they appear to have moved away from him, and have signed Miguel Olivo to a one year deal.
Where does that leave Torrealba? Kind of screwed, actually. Renck reports that the Rockies had offered him $6 million over two years, and that the only holdup was whether the money would be allocated in a buyout as opposed to base salary. Seems like a dumb argument to have from Torrealba’s perspective, given that it doesn’t seem likely that anyone out there would pay him that much money regardless of how you slice it up. Pudge got a contract like that. Jason Kendall got a couple of years and too much money too. With the Nats and Royals out of the equation, we’re dangerously close to running out of teams who would make such a dumb decision.
Renck says the Giants and Mets are still interested. Torrealba would probably be a smarter play for New York than giving too much money to Bengie Molina. The Giants have Buster Posey so don’t really need to pay real money for a veteran catcher, but don’t tell them that. He’ll probably end up in one of those places.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)