Dec 31, 2009, 9:25 AM EDT
The Rockies were playing footsies with Yorvit Torrealba earlier this month, reportedly close to a deal to bring him back to Colorado, probably as Chris Ianetta’s backup, but maybe more as an 1-1A setup. Now, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, they appear to have moved away from him, and have signed Miguel Olivo to a one year deal.
Where does that leave Torrealba? Kind of screwed, actually. Renck reports that the Rockies had offered him $6 million over two years, and that the only holdup was whether the money would be allocated in a buyout as opposed to base salary. Seems like a dumb argument to have from Torrealba’s perspective, given that it doesn’t seem likely that anyone out there would pay him that much money regardless of how you slice it up. Pudge got a contract like that. Jason Kendall got a couple of years and too much money too. With the Nats and Royals out of the equation, we’re dangerously close to running out of teams who would make such a dumb decision.
Renck says the Giants and Mets are still interested. Torrealba would probably be a smarter play for New York than giving too much money to Bengie Molina. The Giants have Buster Posey so don’t really need to pay real money for a veteran catcher, but don’t tell them that. He’ll probably end up in one of those places.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)