Dec 31, 2009, 10:27 AM EDT
Good observation at NoMaas: since Brian Cashman was given more or less complete control in 2005, the Yankees have gotten younger and younger, with the average age of the team’s pitchers clicking down nearly five years since then and the average age of the hitters going down nearly two years.
So sure, the Yankees’ payroll is staggering and they have a rep for bringing in the free agents. But they’re doing it wisely, peppering in some youngins here and there, and getting better in the process.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (154)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)