Jan 1, 2010, 9:32 AM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Gerald Laird and his 22-year-old brother Brandon were arrested Wednesday night following a brawl with security guards at Phoenix’s NBA arena. From the AP:
Police say arena security previously contacted the group of men about
their loud behavior. Two of the men were allowed back into the lounge
after a conversation with security, but a melee broke out shortly
afterward and the Laird brothers allegedly assaulted the security
It’s doubtful the two will be handed much more than a fine and a slap on the wrist, but we all love a good brawl story. Brandon is a highly touted prospect in the Yankees’ farm system and Gerald, 30, hit .225/.306/.320 in 413 at-bats for the Tigers last season while earning $2.8 million. He’s expected to score about $4 million this spring via salary arbitration, which should help take care of any lingering fines or court fees for both he and his brother.
Oh, and in case anyone’s wondering, the Suns defeated the Celtics that night 116-98. Now back to your regularly scheduled baseball-related programming.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 9
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 143
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39