Jan 1, 2010, 9:32 AM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Gerald Laird and his 22-year-old brother Brandon were arrested Wednesday night following a brawl with security guards at Phoenix’s NBA arena. From the AP:
Police say arena security previously contacted the group of men about
their loud behavior. Two of the men were allowed back into the lounge
after a conversation with security, but a melee broke out shortly
afterward and the Laird brothers allegedly assaulted the security
It’s doubtful the two will be handed much more than a fine and a slap on the wrist, but we all love a good brawl story. Brandon is a highly touted prospect in the Yankees’ farm system and Gerald, 30, hit .225/.306/.320 in 413 at-bats for the Tigers last season while earning $2.8 million. He’s expected to score about $4 million this spring via salary arbitration, which should help take care of any lingering fines or court fees for both he and his brother.
Oh, and in case anyone’s wondering, the Suns defeated the Celtics that night 116-98. Now back to your regularly scheduled baseball-related programming.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)