Jan 1, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
The Dodgers have started to talk to Matt Kemp about a long term deal, but Kemp seems content to go year-to-year through arbitration and hit the market one day:
“We’ve got to figure out if it even makes sense to do a multiyear. The
club is looking for something, the player is looking for something.
Sometimes it’s difficult to find a meeting of the minds. In that case,
we’re fine doing it one year at a time.”
Kemp is a Gold Glove winner, a Silver Slugger Award winner and appears to be on a rocket ship trajectory towards super stardom. Generally speaking, I can’t imagine that any player wouldn’t want a long term deal. But given where Kemp is right now, the kind of long term deal he’d be interested in wouldn’t be the sort of long term deal the team would be interested in (i.e. one with no significant discount).
Kemp is probably going to make north of $4 million in arbitration (or in a pre-arb, one-year contract) this year, and barring injuries, it’ll raise quickly from there. If I were him, I wouldn’t be in any hurry to sign an extension.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)