Jan 1, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Corey Brock does a Q&A — apparently with himself, about the state of the Padres. The most interesting one comes when he asks “what kind of player” new GM Jed Hoyer wants to bring to San Diego. The answer Brock gives, presumably based on conversations he’s had with Padre people:
There’s not one type of player Hoyer likes or covets, though he has
talked about finding players who fit this ballpark, PETCO Park. After
all, the Padres do play 81 games here. That player is an athletic one,
has doubles-power, someone who can run … if it’s an outfielder,
someone who can go get a ball, someone who won’t clog the bases.
Granted, you need thumpers in the lineup, but ones who are undeterred
by the spacious dimensions of the ballpark.
This seems a bit strange to me. I mean, it’s not just teams who play in big ballparks who should want good defensive outfielders. Everyone should want them. By the same token, teams that play in big ballparks shouldn’t be eschewing home run hitters. You’re not going to completely give up on home runs, are you? You gotta play in Los Angeles too, right?
Based on everything we know about how the Boston front office thinks, and based on Hoyer’s apprenticeship in the Boston front office, I’d be shocked if he would actually say that he was looking for something specific like a doubles hitter. If he were really asked what kind of players he wants, wouldn’t his answer be “good players. The best players we can find that we can afford.” Maybe they do fit that specific profile. But maybe they don’t, and if they don’t, he’s not going to turn them away.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)