Jan 2, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
Enrique Rojas of ESPN.com, by way of Jorge Arangure on Twitter, reports that Blue Jays third baseman Edwin Encarnacion suffered burns on his face during a fireworks accident in the Dominican Republic.
Encarnacion, who turns 30 next week, batted .225/.320/.410 with 13 home runs and 39 RBI in 293 at-bats with the Reds and Blue Jays last season. He was limited to just 85 games due to wrist and hamstring injuries.
Update: According to a translated version of the story, Encarnacion was discharged from a Miami hospital after suffering first and second-degree burns on his forehead and the right side of his face. He traveled from the Dominican Republic to the United States as a precaution and should be able to resume his offseason training program in about two weeks.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- PBT: Heat haven't won back to back in a month
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins' little wins pay off big in Game 3