Jan 2, 2010, 12:16 PM EST
Enrique Rojas of ESPN.com, by way of Jorge Arangure on Twitter, reports that Blue Jays third baseman Edwin Encarnacion suffered burns on his face during a fireworks accident in the Dominican Republic.
Encarnacion, who turns 30 next week, batted .225/.320/.410 with 13 home runs and 39 RBI in 293 at-bats with the Reds and Blue Jays last season. He was limited to just 85 games due to wrist and hamstring injuries.
Update: According to a translated version of the story, Encarnacion was discharged from a Miami hospital after suffering first and second-degree burns on his forehead and the right side of his face. He traveled from the Dominican Republic to the United States as a precaution and should be able to resume his offseason training program in about two weeks.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)