Jan 2, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
Enrique Rojas of ESPN.com, by way of Jorge Arangure on Twitter, reports that Blue Jays third baseman Edwin Encarnacion suffered burns on his face during a fireworks accident in the Dominican Republic.
Encarnacion, who turns 30 next week, batted .225/.320/.410 with 13 home runs and 39 RBI in 293 at-bats with the Reds and Blue Jays last season. He was limited to just 85 games due to wrist and hamstring injuries.
Update: According to a translated version of the story, Encarnacion was discharged from a Miami hospital after suffering first and second-degree burns on his forehead and the right side of his face. He traveled from the Dominican Republic to the United States as a precaution and should be able to resume his offseason training program in about two weeks.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)