Jan 2, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
Enrique Rojas of ESPN.com, by way of Jorge Arangure on Twitter, reports that Blue Jays third baseman Edwin Encarnacion suffered burns on his face during a fireworks accident in the Dominican Republic.
Encarnacion, who turns 30 next week, batted .225/.320/.410 with 13 home runs and 39 RBI in 293 at-bats with the Reds and Blue Jays last season. He was limited to just 85 games due to wrist and hamstring injuries.
Update: According to a translated version of the story, Encarnacion was discharged from a Miami hospital after suffering first and second-degree burns on his forehead and the right side of his face. He traveled from the Dominican Republic to the United States as a precaution and should be able to resume his offseason training program in about two weeks.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 8
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 160
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (161)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)