Jan 2, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
In his “10 questions” piece for MLB.com, T.R. Sullivan writes that the Rangers are in the market for backstops:
1. What will happen with the catching situation?
The Rangers will bring in at least one and possibly two veteran
catchers to push Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden. The
Rangers clearly have concerns about Saltalamacchia’s right shoulder and
they clearly have doubts that Teagarden is ready for everyday duty.
Rod Barajas, Yorvit Torrealba,
Bengie Molina and Miguel Olivo are the “best available” catchers, and I put that
in quotes for obvious reasons, but all four are believed to be seeking
multi-year contracts. Instead, Sullivan sees the Rangers going after
secondary options like Jose Molina, Michael Barrett and Mike Redmond.
He also mentions Josh Bard as a possibility, however he signed a minor
league deal with the Mariners earlier this week. Devastating news, I
know, but Jon Daniels will just have to pick up the pieces and move on.
Update: Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com reports that the Rangers have shown interest in Dioner Navarro of the Rays. Navarro was a non-tender candidate last month before he agreed to a one-year, $2.1 million contract.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)