Report: David Cone out at YES Network

Jan 3, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT

In a column of “New Year’s Wishes” for baseball fans, Bob Klapisch of the Bergen Record reports that David Cone is out as a color commentator at the YES Network after “a heated disagreement” with network executives. A spokesman for YES confirmed his exit, saying:

“David’s contract is up. We’d love to have him back, but he’s in the
process of evaluating his various options. … He may not be back based
on what he decides.”

It would end his second stint with YES, as Cone attempted a comeback
with the Mets in 2003. It’s a big blow for YES, as Coney has really
grown as a color man in a short amount of time. In short, he made the booth almost tolerable. I’m gonna guess he ends
up at MLB Network in some capacity.

1. Old Gator - Jan 3, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Why would you have a heated disagreement with someone who wants to pay you a ridiculous amount of money for sitting around watching ballgames and talking about them all summer? Is the pressbox so high that he gets nosebleeds? David, be happy to go up there and agree with them about everything you disagreed with them about. Plus, I want my hot dogs and beer delivered to the booth, or forget it.

2. GimmeSomeSteel - Jan 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Some people just don’t take kindly to being told how to call some things, even if it means losing a paycheck. I doubt that Cone needs the money anyway. When some jag-off suit who doesn’t know diddly about baseball, let alone baseball at the major league level, starts to tell someone like David Cone to be more positive about the Yankees, that person deserves to have his head handed back to him with a note saying, “F*** all of you a**holes”.

3. Nicknames R Us - Jan 3, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Coney?

4. cmoore - Jan 3, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I agree.. most likely someone told him to be more positive or less critical of players / management.
    One of the reasons Jon Miller was run out of Baltimore.

5. Simon DelMonte - Jan 4, 2010 at 4:15 AM

It’s too bad that there aren’t any openings right now with the Mets’ broadcast teams, since Cone would do better there. Say what you will about the team, but its broadcasters are rarely homers and often critical of the club.

6. ditmars1929 - Jan 4, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Cone sucks. If YES had any sense at all, they’d figure a way to bring back Katt.

7. pepe - Jan 4, 2010 at 9:45 AM

They’re parting ways with the wrong guy. If the Yankees could ever find a way to say “seee ya” to that annoying windbag Michael Kay then we might be able to watch the YES games with the mute button off.

8. ditmars1929 - Jan 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I agree with you there, Pepe, but I was limiting my opinion to color guys. MKay totally sucks too. Worse than Cone. I try to tolerate his annoying schtick, but he’s so often dead wrong about things that it makes me want to shoot myself. I sent him an email asking him how the Hell the Yankees get last licks when batting in the TOP of the ninth as the visiting team. I’m still awaiting his reply. Moron.

9. Devoted Yankee Fan - Jan 4, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I will definitely NOT be watching if David Cone ain’t announcing.
    He is the BEST Yankee announcer.
    He just knows more than the rest of those bums in the booth.
    He gives us lots of stats…and calls it like it is.
    By far the most entertaining. I am devastated that he won’t be back.
    C’mon Yanks….aside from Kitty and Coney you haven’t had a decent staff up there since, Garagiola/Coleman and Rizzuto.
    (Bob Gamere was good…But, he only lasted one year)

10. online stock trading - Feb 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Generally I do not post on blogs, but I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so, Excellent post!

11. karen - Mar 4, 2010 at 7:08 PM

I’ll add another negative vote to Michael Kay’s collection. I think he’s really egotistical and boring. The only good announcer the Yankees have is Ken Singleton. I wish Jim Kaat would return, at least part time. I’m trying to think of a younger guy who would be good in the booth. Can’t think of anyone right now.

12. conehead - Apr 2, 2010 at 12:32 AM

When YES first aired “Yankees 2010: Pride, Power and Pinstripes” I kinda had the feeling, hey where’s Coney? It was a real comedown. Gonna miss his expertise, timing and humor.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3475)