Jan 4, 2010, 3:52 PM EDT
Unlike Heyman, Dan Shaughnessy admits that he just goes with his gut when it comes to the Hall of Fame:
Each Hall voter applies his own standards, and mine often references the famous line that Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart applied to pornography. Stewart argued that he might not be able to
define what was pornographic, “but I know it when I see it.”
Which is why Shaughnessy says, regarding Edgar Martinez, “I just can’t bring myself to put him in Cooperstown alongside Ted Williams, Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.” That’s well and good if you’re a small-Hall kind of guy.
Of course, given how much time he spent over the past decade arguing in favor of Jim Rice, I’m guessing that Shaughnessy is not a small hall guy. Or at least not when it comes to Red Sox.
Thinking more deeply about it, if his whole pornography/Hall of Fame analogy holds up, Shaughnessy’s yes on Rice, no on Edgar Martinez thing might give us some scary insight into what kind of kinky stuff turns that curly-haired rascal on.
Now try to get that image out of your head.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (122)