Jan 4, 2010, 5:37 PM EDT
7:51 P.M.: OK, now we do know what the hell is going on: Beltre to Boston, one year, $9 million, with a player option for $5 million.
5:37 PM: First the Sox were in, then out, and now they’re apparently in again, as Gordon Edes at ESPN Boston is reporting that the Sox have actually made an offer to Beltre, but face serious competition from the Orioles, Athletics and Angels. Earlier, Amalie Benjamin tweeted that since Beltre lives on the west coast, he may just want to stay out there.
At this point, your guess is as good as ours.
2:50 P.M.: Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald tweets that it isn’t the Red Sox that are in on Beltre. In fact, he says that Boston is “not currently in the mix at all.” Hmmm. I’ll have to leave the west coast guess as the A’s until I hear a single other west coast team that is interested. But who else on the east needs a third baseman?
1:06 P.M.: Yahoo!’s Tim Brown tweets that Adrian Beltre is “close to choosing from between two clubs, source says, one from each coast.” Brown suspects that the two clubs are Oakland and Boston, which makes sense given previous reporting, speculation and whatnot.
Boston has got to be the favorite, simply because the Beltre-Boston talk has gone on for so much longer, and because Boston seems so much more willing and is definitely much more able to meet Beltre’s reported asking price of $10 million.
No, I don’t think he’ll quite get that, but unless he agrees to a substantial discount from numbers he was asking for a mere two weeks ago, or unless Oakland goes well beyond what a historically-frugal team which drew the lowest number of fans in baseball last year seems likely to pay, there’s no way I can see Beltre in an Athletics’ uniform.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 19
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 55
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (109)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (97)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team