Jan 4, 2010, 5:37 PM EST
7:51 P.M.: OK, now we do know what the hell is going on: Beltre to Boston, one year, $9 million, with a player option for $5 million.
5:37 PM: First the Sox were in, then out, and now they’re apparently in again, as Gordon Edes at ESPN Boston is reporting that the Sox have actually made an offer to Beltre, but face serious competition from the Orioles, Athletics and Angels. Earlier, Amalie Benjamin tweeted that since Beltre lives on the west coast, he may just want to stay out there.
At this point, your guess is as good as ours.
2:50 P.M.: Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald tweets that it isn’t the Red Sox that are in on Beltre. In fact, he says that Boston is “not currently in the mix at all.” Hmmm. I’ll have to leave the west coast guess as the A’s until I hear a single other west coast team that is interested. But who else on the east needs a third baseman?
1:06 P.M.: Yahoo!’s Tim Brown tweets that Adrian Beltre is “close to choosing from between two clubs, source says, one from each coast.” Brown suspects that the two clubs are Oakland and Boston, which makes sense given previous reporting, speculation and whatnot.
Boston has got to be the favorite, simply because the Beltre-Boston talk has gone on for so much longer, and because Boston seems so much more willing and is definitely much more able to meet Beltre’s reported asking price of $10 million.
No, I don’t think he’ll quite get that, but unless he agrees to a substantial discount from numbers he was asking for a mere two weeks ago, or unless Oakland goes well beyond what a historically-frugal team which drew the lowest number of fans in baseball last year seems likely to pay, there’s no way I can see Beltre in an Athletics’ uniform.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)