Jan 4, 2010, 7:42 PM EDT
Peter Gammons tweets: 1 year deal for $9 million and a player option for $5 million. There’s also a $1 million buyout, presumably so everyone can say he got $10 million. Physical pending, announcement to come later.
Gut reaction: something of a comedown for the Boras-represented Beltre who, in addition to wanting $10 million, most likely wanted multiple years too. At the best, Boras can spin this as a two-year deal worth $14 million by virtue of the player option, but that’s a far cry from what he reportedly wanted. Heyman spins it as an “opt-out” with Beltre able to hit the market again next year. I’d call it a make-good deal that is sub-optimal compared to a multi-year deal just about every player wants. Tomato, Tomahto.
For Boston: they now have an ace third baseman. They also have a surplus Mike Lowell on which you could likely get a really good deal right now if you’re so inclined.
And someone somewhere buy Mike “The Red Sox are not currently in mix at all for free agent 3B Adrian Beltre” Silverman of the Boston Herald a drink, because he’s had a bad day.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)