Jan 4, 2010, 7:42 PM EST
Peter Gammons tweets: 1 year deal for $9 million and a player option for $5 million. There’s also a $1 million buyout, presumably so everyone can say he got $10 million. Physical pending, announcement to come later.
Gut reaction: something of a comedown for the Boras-represented Beltre who, in addition to wanting $10 million, most likely wanted multiple years too. At the best, Boras can spin this as a two-year deal worth $14 million by virtue of the player option, but that’s a far cry from what he reportedly wanted. Heyman spins it as an “opt-out” with Beltre able to hit the market again next year. I’d call it a make-good deal that is sub-optimal compared to a multi-year deal just about every player wants. Tomato, Tomahto.
For Boston: they now have an ace third baseman. They also have a surplus Mike Lowell on which you could likely get a really good deal right now if you’re so inclined.
And someone somewhere buy Mike “The Red Sox are not currently in mix at all for free agent 3B Adrian Beltre” Silverman of the Boston Herald a drink, because he’s had a bad day.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 10
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)