Jan 4, 2010, 7:42 PM EDT
Peter Gammons tweets: 1 year deal for $9 million and a player option for $5 million. There’s also a $1 million buyout, presumably so everyone can say he got $10 million. Physical pending, announcement to come later.
Gut reaction: something of a comedown for the Boras-represented Beltre who, in addition to wanting $10 million, most likely wanted multiple years too. At the best, Boras can spin this as a two-year deal worth $14 million by virtue of the player option, but that’s a far cry from what he reportedly wanted. Heyman spins it as an “opt-out” with Beltre able to hit the market again next year. I’d call it a make-good deal that is sub-optimal compared to a multi-year deal just about every player wants. Tomato, Tomahto.
For Boston: they now have an ace third baseman. They also have a surplus Mike Lowell on which you could likely get a really good deal right now if you’re so inclined.
And someone somewhere buy Mike “The Red Sox are not currently in mix at all for free agent 3B Adrian Beltre” Silverman of the Boston Herald a drink, because he’s had a bad day.
- So that Juan Uribe to the Braves trade is back on … 0
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 13
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)