Jan 4, 2010, 7:42 PM EDT
Peter Gammons tweets: 1 year deal for $9 million and a player option for $5 million. There’s also a $1 million buyout, presumably so everyone can say he got $10 million. Physical pending, announcement to come later.
Gut reaction: something of a comedown for the Boras-represented Beltre who, in addition to wanting $10 million, most likely wanted multiple years too. At the best, Boras can spin this as a two-year deal worth $14 million by virtue of the player option, but that’s a far cry from what he reportedly wanted. Heyman spins it as an “opt-out” with Beltre able to hit the market again next year. I’d call it a make-good deal that is sub-optimal compared to a multi-year deal just about every player wants. Tomato, Tomahto.
For Boston: they now have an ace third baseman. They also have a surplus Mike Lowell on which you could likely get a really good deal right now if you’re so inclined.
And someone somewhere buy Mike “The Red Sox are not currently in mix at all for free agent 3B Adrian Beltre” Silverman of the Boston Herald a drink, because he’s had a bad day.
- Cubs to acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 19
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)