Jan 4, 2010, 7:42 PM EDT
Peter Gammons tweets: 1 year deal for $9 million and a player option for $5 million. There’s also a $1 million buyout, presumably so everyone can say he got $10 million. Physical pending, announcement to come later.
Gut reaction: something of a comedown for the Boras-represented Beltre who, in addition to wanting $10 million, most likely wanted multiple years too. At the best, Boras can spin this as a two-year deal worth $14 million by virtue of the player option, but that’s a far cry from what he reportedly wanted. Heyman spins it as an “opt-out” with Beltre able to hit the market again next year. I’d call it a make-good deal that is sub-optimal compared to a multi-year deal just about every player wants. Tomato, Tomahto.
For Boston: they now have an ace third baseman. They also have a surplus Mike Lowell on which you could likely get a really good deal right now if you’re so inclined.
And someone somewhere buy Mike “The Red Sox are not currently in mix at all for free agent 3B Adrian Beltre” Silverman of the Boston Herald a drink, because he’s had a bad day.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 84
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 223
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (223)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)