Ronan Tynan has had a bad couple of months

Jan 4, 2010, 11:25 AM EDT

You’ll recall Ronan Tynan, the Irish tenor who used to sing “God Bless America” during the seventh inning stretch at Yankee Stadium.  You’ll also recall that Tynan ran into some trouble back in October, getting sacked from his Yankees gig as the result of some comments he made to a realtor about Jews looking at apartments in his building.  Will Leitch of New York Magazine caught up with Tynan recently and has the singer’s first public comments since the incident. It’s been a rough time for him.

I suppose my sympathy for the guy is dependent on whether his comments at the time are, as he claims, the result of a misunderstanding or a misguided attempt at a joke or, as was reported at the time, constituted some sort of racial slur.

Limited sympathy at best, of course, because as even Tynan said at the time, he was being stupid.  And though we may not particularly like the overly-sensitive world in which we live, the fact is that in this day and age, even casual remarks by barely public figures can turn into public relations issues if it even smells like it touches on race.

1. pat - Jan 4, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Fyi, Judaism is a religion, not a race.

2. Grant - Jan 4, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I realize it’s not really his fault, but I have just as much animosity towards the guy because of his involvement in Steinbrenner’s awful enforced patriotism/religion funtimes than I do about a tasteless joke.
    I realize someone has to sing it for ole George, but man is his an excruciating rendition of an abysmal song.

3. W - Jan 4, 2010 at 2:21 PM

anyone who calls “God Bless America” abysmal clearly has no brain. Yanks #1

4. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Jan 4, 2010 at 3:37 PM

OK, then it’s a LOUSY a song. But nice chutzpah, W. Maybe Peter Dinklage can start telling some short jokes…

5. Sona Drapalova - Jan 26, 2010 at 3:59 PM

These are very interesting information to learn more?

6. Cecil Kehres - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM

We just couldnt leave your website before saying that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!

7. bridge loan - Feb 10, 2010 at 3:42 AM

Disagree I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.

8. Sumilia Bridge - Feb 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Very good research. Thanks for the information. Seen it all. Done it all. Can’t remember most of it.

9. Lisa Ann Equity - Mar 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Excuse me. I’m from the FBI, the Fine Body Investigators, and I’m going to have to ask you to assume the position.

10. Susan Equity - Mar 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Where there’s a will, I want to be in it

11. Mara Loan - Mar 5, 2010 at 6:39 AM

Life is sexually transmitted

All the trade deadline news to know