The Mets turn their attention to pitching

Jan 4, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT

Buried at the bottom of this piece in the New York Post about Jason Bay’s impending physical is mention that Omar Minaya “has turned attention in recent days to a starting pitching pool that includes Ben Sheets, Joel Piniero and Jon Garland.”

This is good news for Mets fans, especially if it distracts Minaya from devoting more time to the pursuit of Bengie Molina.  If the Mets offense can remain healthy, it will be fine.  The pitching, however, needs serious work as there is really nothing there apart from Johan Santana.  The Mets rotation was 12th in the NL in ERA last year. They were near the bottom in innings from their starters as well, though in that short time they damn near led the league in walks.

Bay, assuming he makes it through the physical, gets all the attention.  The pursuit of a couple of starters, however, will make a bigger difference in the Mets fortunes in 2010.

1. willmose - Jan 4, 2010 at 9:04 AM

If the Mets offense is healthly it will be mediocre to down right bad.

2. john pileggi - Jan 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Go Omar!

3. TigerS Boy ToY - Jan 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Wilma, you need to do some additional reading about baseball.

4. The Rabbit - Jan 4, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I’ve followed the Mets since the team’s inception. 1962-1968 was entertaining for many reasons and I’ve always been fond of an underdog. (BTW, “Kiner’s Korner” is a great book about the 1962 team.)
    If you can’t be good, at the very least, be amusing. The 2009 Mets were neither, injuries not withstanding.
    I’m not sure how Omar keeps his job, but if he continues to live down to his reputation can Sidney Ponson be far behind? (Arrrgh!)

5. Old Gator - Jan 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I dunno about you, but if I’m pitching and the Mets front office has “turned its attention” to me, I’m scared.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3970)