Jan 5, 2010, 1:55 PM EDT
You’ve seen the commercials for years: “Major League superstar” Fred McGriff in some off-brand hat and jersey endorsing the Tom Emanski Defensive Drills video. I never flip away when that spot airs. It’s positively sublime. McGriff, sure, but those little leaguers going through their drills is pretty sweet too. I always wonder which of those kids practiced the hardest, got drafted and one day made their first trip to Ciudad Juarez to buy over the counter growth hormone for his Texas League teammates.
Anyway, if you ever wanted to hear the story behind the making of the Emanski ad, Tyler Kepner is your huckleberry. He spoke with the Crime Dog about it, and who answered every question you ever had about that epic production.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)