Jan 5, 2010, 1:55 PM EDT
You’ve seen the commercials for years: “Major League superstar” Fred McGriff in some off-brand hat and jersey endorsing the Tom Emanski Defensive Drills video. I never flip away when that spot airs. It’s positively sublime. McGriff, sure, but those little leaguers going through their drills is pretty sweet too. I always wonder which of those kids practiced the hardest, got drafted and one day made their first trip to Ciudad Juarez to buy over the counter growth hormone for his Texas League teammates.
Anyway, if you ever wanted to hear the story behind the making of the Emanski ad, Tyler Kepner is your huckleberry. He spoke with the Crime Dog about it, and who answered every question you ever had about that epic production.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)