Jan 5, 2010, 7:55 AM EDT
It’s probably rather galling to the rest of baseball that, in addition to being able to outbid just about everyone for any free agent, the Red Sox also get big discounts on guys who simply want to go there. That seems to be the case with Adrian Beltre:
Beltre turned down more money from at least two teams – he had a
four-year offer early in free agency and then a three-year deal for
roughly the same annual value as the deal the Red Sox offered – but he
chose Boston with an eye on having a big year for a contender and then
hitting the market again next year.
Take all of this with the usual grain of Boras salt, of course. Yes, it’s possible that Beltre had other more lucrative offers but took Boston’s because he wanted to win and wanted to make a splash on the big stage and re-enter free agency next year.
It’s also possible, however, there weren’t any other fabulous offers — at least not concrete ones — and this is spin created by Boras to camouflage the fact that he misread the market for his client and ended up having to come way, way down in money and years simply to find a job.
In other words, one man’s “opt-out” opportunity is another man’s “make good” deal. And unless we ever get confirmation of the other offers, we really don’t have any way of knowing which it truly was.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)