Jan 5, 2010, 12:56 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal (and others) have reported this morning that Adrian Beltre’s 2011 option could double from $5 million to $10 million based on incentives. What incentives? Rosenthal just tweeted that he gets the extra $5 million if he makes 640 plate appearances.
For what it’s worth, Beltre has made 640 plate appearances thrice in his career: 2004-2006, which were his age 25-27 seasons. He fell one plate appearance short in 2007. He had 612 and 477 in the past two years.
Is the incentive attainable? Absolutely, though if the Red Sox can’t unload Mike Lowell for some reason, one wonders if they’ll keep him on the roster somehow, taking plate appearances away from Beltre. That’s probably unlikely.
Whether it’s more unlikely than a 31 year-old player coming off an injury returning to the health and durability he enjoyed in his prime is an open question.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 272
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)