Holliday to stay with Cardinals for $120 million

Jan 5, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Matt Holliday will return to the Cardinals on a seven-year, $120 million contract, a deal that Holliday later confirmed on ESPN Radio.
The contract becomes the fourth-largest ever given to an outfielder, behind Manny Ramirez’s eight-year, $160 million deal with Boston, Alfonso Soriano’s $136 million deal with the Cubs and Vernon Wells’ $126 million deal with the Blye Jays.

1. Brian - Jan 5, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Nitpick: If it’s smaller than the Ramirez, Soriano and Wells deals, doesn’t that make it the fourth-largest ever given to an outfielder?

2. Holla(r) - Jan 5, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Matthew, I majored in history with an English minor, so my math might not be completely on here, but I think being behind those three deals makes this the fourth-largest outfielder contract ever. It’s something about derivatives and a sine curve. I’m not sure after that.

3. Scarf - Jan 5, 2010 at 6:35 PM

While I think Holliday is a very good player, I do not think he should have gotten this sort of money. Mozeliak, I think, actually believed Boras when he said Holliday was worth this kinda money; in reality, he should have gotten a deal similar to the one Bay got with the Mets.

4. Matthew Pouliot - Jan 5, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Yes, fourth, Sorry. That’s what I get for rushing.

5. Cru11 - Jan 5, 2010 at 6:53 PM

The Wells and Soriano deals always makes me chuckle.

6. Holla(r) - Jan 5, 2010 at 7:11 PM

This whole thing reminds me of this one time when I was writing a paper on the trial of Marguerite Porete and I got the number of empanelled theological experts at her trial wrong! Boy was that embarrassing, right guys? Hey, where did everybody go?

7. Manny - Jan 5, 2010 at 7:16 PM

If Alfonso Soriano and Vernon Wells got paid what they were worth it would be about $8 million apiece per year, if that.

8. Reflex - Jan 5, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Since Bay averaged $16.5 mil/year I believe, this by definition would be very similiar to the Bay deal. The major difference is that its two years longer with Bay’s option(although Holliday is a year younger) and half a million higher per year. That seems justifiable considering Holliday’s superior defense and slightly better hitting abilities.
    I’d say the deal is just about right, and that Holliday is now kicking himself for not taking the 4 years/$18 mil per year offer from the Rockies in 08. Oh well, at least hitting next to Pujols in a always contending team means he will have HOF credentials provided he stays healthy…

9. Matt - Jan 5, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Most times when these players get big multi-year contracts their performance goes measurably down. Judging by the comments that some of these HOF voters are expressing I wouldn’t count anybody a lock for the Hall.

10. Reflex - Jan 5, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Oh I’m not calling him a certain HOFer by any means. Just saying that he just gave himself perhaps his best chance of making it outside of joining the Yankees. There isn’t a hitter in baseball who wouldn’t like to hit in front of or behind Pujols. He does for those around him what Bonds did during his prime.
    I also do not feel Holliday is the type who only plays hard with a contract on the line. He was consistantly good on the Rockies, and last year when it was at its most critical he floundered with the A’s before landing in St. Louis and flourishing. In my opinion his offense is overrated and relies heavily on his park and team, but should he put up 400+ HR’s with the RBI’s, Runs, and a decent BA/OBP he’ll be talked about. Probably not first ballot, but he’d probably get in eventually.
    Provided he stays healthy and consistant of course, seven years is a long time once a player is in their 30’s…

11. Fast Eddy - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Well, the other deals larger than this worked out very well, didn’t they? Oh, I suppose not. At least the clubs didn’t make out. Manny went south as soon as he stopped the juice. Oh well, maybe Holliday will be the exception.

12. Leonard Pickford - Jan 16, 2010 at 12:30 PM

That is some inspirational stuff. Never knew that opinions could be this varied. Thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.

13. NFL news - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Hi buddy, your blog’s design is simple and clean and i like it. Your blog posts are superb. Please keep them coming. Greets!!!

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3311)