Jan 5, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Matt Holliday will return to the Cardinals on a seven-year, $120 million contract, a deal that Holliday later confirmed on ESPN Radio.
The contract becomes the fourth-largest ever given to an outfielder, behind Manny Ramirez’s eight-year, $160 million deal with Boston, Alfonso Soriano’s $136 million deal with the Cubs and Vernon Wells’ $126 million deal with the Blye Jays.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 3
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 41
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)