Is Mike Lowell-to-the-Rangers once again possible?

Jan 5, 2010, 8:55 AM EDT

The first thought in most people’s minds after the Adrian Beltre deal was reported last night was what the Red Sox were going to do with Mike Lowell. OK, my first thought was “wow, Boras really misread the market for his dude,” but my next thought definitely was what to do about Mike Lowell.

Almost immediately, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick and others suggested that the Mets were possibly interested in trading Luis Castillo for him. Which makes no sense given that (a) such a deal would provide no cash relief for either team involved; and (b) there is nowhere for Castillo — a lifetime second baseman — to play in Boston.  But hey, at least someone’s thinking about all of this.

More plausible: late last night Yahoo!’s Tim Brown said that he had a source telling him that the Rangers “have not ruled out re-engaging on Lowell.”

Given the previously aborted run at this, and given Lowell’s recent surgery, you’d have to think that any deal sending him to Texas would have to be even more one-sided than the last one was. That had Texas sending catcher Max Ramirez to the Red Sox in exchange for
Lowell and about $9 million.

What would a new deal look like? Just the cash? More cash?  At some point it just becomes easier for the Red Sox to release the guy, doesn’t it?

1. Dan - Jan 5, 2010 at 9:22 AM

There’s no reason to jump the gun on moving Lowell, and certainly no reason to consider releasing him. If he looks better at 3B and swings the bat in March, he’ll have value again, certainly enough to land the likes of Max Ramirez. But I would prefer it if Theo hangs on to Lowell as long as he can as insurance against Ortiz suffering a catastrophic and irreversible decline. I really wouldn’t mind a platoon DH with Lowell playing 3B or 1B occasionally. I realize it doesn’t make sense from a roster perspective but what is the harm if they keep him around for a couple of months? Come to think of it, DeRosa might have been a good move for the sake of having as many positions covered by one backup as possible.

2. Alec - Jan 5, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Anyone think the Twins might swing a deal for Lowell if he’s still available in 4-6 weeks? They have enough mediocre depth (including catching depth) in their system to be able to offer Boston a C-level prospect in exchange for Lowell and 50-65% of his salary. BoSox get something for a player they have no use for, and the Twins take a Crede-like chance on Lowell.

3. Patrick - Jan 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Alec,
    As a twins fan… eugh.. I dunno.
    We’ll see, I guess? I think Crede was a much better option and they could re-sign him for cheap, I bet.
    Though… yeah, Lowell might be OK, I guess?
    Cast-offs. Ew!

4. Old Gator - Jan 5, 2010 at 2:25 PM

About as probable as the next integer of PI turning out to be a zero.

5. Holla(r) - Jan 5, 2010 at 4:05 PM

As a Sox fan, I would love for this trade to come back to life. I welcome back the undead trade with open arms, as long as it isn’t out for brains.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4701)