Jan 5, 2010, 8:55 AM EDT
The first thought in most people’s minds after the Adrian Beltre deal was reported last night was what the Red Sox were going to do with Mike Lowell. OK, my first thought was “wow, Boras really misread the market for his dude,” but my next thought definitely was what to do about Mike Lowell.
Almost immediately, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick and others suggested that the Mets were possibly interested in trading Luis Castillo for him. Which makes no sense given that (a) such a deal would provide no cash relief for either team involved; and (b) there is nowhere for Castillo — a lifetime second baseman — to play in Boston. But hey, at least someone’s thinking about all of this.
More plausible: late last night Yahoo!’s Tim Brown said that he had a source telling him that the Rangers “have not ruled out re-engaging on Lowell.”
Given the previously aborted run at this, and given Lowell’s recent surgery, you’d have to think that any deal sending him to Texas would have to be even more one-sided than the last one was. That had Texas sending catcher Max Ramirez to the Red Sox in exchange for
Lowell and about $9 million.
What would a new deal look like? Just the cash? More cash? At some point it just becomes easier for the Red Sox to release the guy, doesn’t it?
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 64
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 46
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)