Jan 5, 2010, 8:55 AM EST
The first thought in most people’s minds after the Adrian Beltre deal was reported last night was what the Red Sox were going to do with Mike Lowell. OK, my first thought was “wow, Boras really misread the market for his dude,” but my next thought definitely was what to do about Mike Lowell.
Almost immediately, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick and others suggested that the Mets were possibly interested in trading Luis Castillo for him. Which makes no sense given that (a) such a deal would provide no cash relief for either team involved; and (b) there is nowhere for Castillo — a lifetime second baseman — to play in Boston. But hey, at least someone’s thinking about all of this.
More plausible: late last night Yahoo!’s Tim Brown said that he had a source telling him that the Rangers “have not ruled out re-engaging on Lowell.”
Given the previously aborted run at this, and given Lowell’s recent surgery, you’d have to think that any deal sending him to Texas would have to be even more one-sided than the last one was. That had Texas sending catcher Max Ramirez to the Red Sox in exchange for
Lowell and about $9 million.
What would a new deal look like? Just the cash? More cash? At some point it just becomes easier for the Red Sox to release the guy, doesn’t it?
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)