Jason Bay press conference highlights

Jan 5, 2010, 1:23 PM EDT

The Mets unveiled their newest bauble a couple of hours ago. After giving him a New York Rangers jersey with his name on it — seriously — Bay faced the press. The whole thing is here if you want to read it. Here are the highlights:

• Asked about leaving the Sox, Bay said that he was open to the idea of returning to Boston at season’s end but that “what it boiled down to, I just think the Mets wanted me more”;
  • Bay said that the Mets were on his “short list.” Why? “The chance to win.”  I’m going to assume that was a covert tip to the media that Omar Minaya is going to be fired soon, because otherwise the statement simply wouldn’t make any sense;
  • Is he worried about the big Citi Field outfield? “For those of you who don’t know, and I’m sure most of you do,
    Pittsburgh is very spacious as well, and you play half your games on
    the road . . . I’m by no means Torii Hunter out there. I know that. But I still think I’m pretty good.”
  • Someone asked him if replacing Manny Ramirez in Boston will help “with what he’ll see in New York.” Bay was diplomatic. I wish, however, that he had said “yeah, because replacing Gary Sheffield’s rotting corpse and the misfit toys Jerry ran out there last year will be REALLY tough. Jeez!”
  • Bay said that between the first offer at the Winter Meetings and the time the deal was basically done was “a week or 10 days or something.”  I suppose everyone’s definition of a done deal differs a bit, but assuming things were essentially in place in the time frame Bay says they were, we all should apologize for our “this is taking forever; Bay doesn’t want to come to New York” snark.
  • He was asked what other teams were in the running for his services: “We can leave the second part of that question out. I don’t think we need to get into where I ultimately could have been.” Clearly the Mystery Team has Bay’s family held hostage and will only release them once the heat dies down. The Mystery Team doesn’t mess around. Mess you up, man.
  • What about that Gammons quote about how he would rather play in Beirut than Queens?  “I kind of heard about that around the way.”  “Around the way?” What, is Bay an extra on “The Wire?”  He goes on: “People have opinions — that’s fine. To say those were my opinions and that’s the way I felt, that hurts a little bit.”  Peter Groton Gammons! You’ve hurt Jason’s feelings! Now I want you to apologize this instant young man!
  • Asked about the state of his shoulder, which some feared would cause problems in his physical: “I actually never hurt my shoulder.”  Um, OK.  You know, I hate to continue to throw out conspiracy theories here, but the guy who was beating the Bay’s-physical-is-gonna-be-rough drum the hardest was Heyman. You don’t suppose that someone was whispering things to him about Bay’s shoulder in order to keep the Mets theoretically in play for a bit so some other high profile left field free agent could use them as a stalking horse, do you?  Nah, that would be crazy talk.

Anyway, Bay’s a Met now. Now on to the Bengie Molina sweepstakes.

1. BookaD - Jan 5, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Craig, cynicism is an art that you have truly yet to master. Maybe you need some more practice before you continue to write in the big leagues. Better yet, just right the facts and leave your mind frazzle to the wayside.

2. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 5, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Really, I should just “right” the facts? Thanks for the insight, Shakespeare.

3. Franco - Jan 5, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Great Stuff

4. Matt Foley - Jan 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Well, Dad, I can’t see too good. Is that Bill Shakespeare over there? From what I hear, you use that paper not for writing, but for ROLLING DOOOBIES.

5. Matt M - Jan 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I’ve seen Craig accused of many things, but not being cynical enough? That’s gotta be a first.

6. EricD - Jan 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM

“Really, I should just “right” the facts? Thanks for the insight, Shakespeare.”
    You’re a fucking douchebag.

7. Old Gator - Jan 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Craig, ignore that idiot. Any time you feel the need to refine your native cynicism, I trust that by now you know who to call.
    Peter Gammons’ middle name is Groton???? With a name like that, how was he able to make it onto and off of the playground at lunchtime each day without getting the shit beaten out of him?

8. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 5, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Thanks Gator.
    And actually, I have no idea what Gammons’ middle name is. Groton is the town in Massachusetts in which he was born. I needed a middle name for the parental scolding bit, however, and the rhythm worked out right.

9. Old Gator - Jan 5, 2010 at 2:16 PM

No, he’s an ex-lawyer. Get your facts right. Given how badly you appear to have damaged your head in some bar brawl, I suspect that “Christopher Marlowe” would have been more appropriate.

10. John Pileggi - Jan 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM

So, to sum up, Bay took the most money he could get in a soft market, and the Mets have about 10 other things to do to be a contender. Got it.

11. Bobby Townsend - Jan 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM

When a free agent signs with a new team, they will always say “this gives me the best chance of winning” BALDADASH!!!!!
    Why don’t they (and Bay is no different) just own up and say, “I have just the team that won the bidding war” and stop conducting a press conference so that the player appears to be reading from a script concocted by the PR Dept.

12. yankeh8r - Jan 5, 2010 at 3:20 PM

anybody who thinks bay wanted to be in a mets uniform is an idiot. how can he say they were on his short list for the chance to win and not crack a smile? i mean that has to be on the short list of worst lies now – the check’s in the mail, i gave at the office, i wanted to be a met so i could win! priceless!

13. Jimmy - Jan 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Omar Bay?

14. TigerS Boy ToY - Jan 5, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Craig AKA Atlanta Braves Fan Club President, why you hating on the Mets so much ?

15. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 5, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Because I hate the Mets? It’s not like I make a secret of it or anything.
    And it’s not like one pissant blogger hating the Mets is going to skew the balance of all media or anything. People reading my stuff are going to know pretty quickly how I feel about the Mets. I’m not going to pretend to be objective.

16. s - Jan 5, 2010 at 4:15 PM

did Bay have labrum surgery on his shoulder? I checked, he did, how can he say there wasn’t a concern about his shoulder.

17. YANKEES1996 - Jan 5, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Jason Bay wanted to play for the Mets so that he would have a chance to win, win what?
    O.K., start the pool, first question: How far into the season before the Mets fans want Jason Bay shipped out of town?
    Question 2: Is this finally the signing that gets Omar fired?

18. Jbentley - Jan 5, 2010 at 5:11 PM

It seems like everyone is down on Bay. He’s done nothing but hit for power and avg/OBA, played a solid left field in two tough left field parks and been nothing but a class guy his whole career. When you add him to a line-up that, if everyone who was hurt last year comes back, you’ve got a helluva team. (N.b. this is from a pirates fan(old pirates, not the current AAA team) who hates the mets)
    Bay is a top-quality player who will help put the Mets in contention next year.

19. yankeh8r - Jan 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM

bay was a decent bat in the absence of manny but his fielding in suspect and his arm is just damn weak. he’s a decent player but he’s not top-quality of any aspect in his game and he’s nobody’s missing puzzle piece. having said that i don’t think pujols would even be enough to put the mets in contention of anything.

20. Preston - Jan 5, 2010 at 7:43 PM

To be more specific, Gammons was born at and went to Groton School, a boarding school in Groton, MA, where his father was the organist for over 30 years. In fact, he came back to give the commencement speech my junior year there – quite a treat.

21. what the what the - Jan 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM

let me get this right.. the mets arent in contention for anything? hmmmm.. they have the same team they had last year, minus delgado… and last year they were picked to win the world series by everyone including SI… so again, how are they not in contention? their pitching is suspect at best, but one more arm, and they are in contention for the nl east and the nl pennant… granted, the yankees are the favorite to win the WS until a salray cap is passed, but the mets will have a great lineup if everyone is healthy…
    you all know they lost reyes, beltran and delgado by june, and were in first place at that time, right?
    just checking.

22. Tony A - Jan 5, 2010 at 10:02 PM

That would be refreshing, wouldn’t it! I suspect that the teams/gms
    wouldn’t actually want a player to say that, too mercenary and business-like…

23. peanut gallery - Jan 5, 2010 at 11:05 PM

I really can’t believe nbcsports allows this trash. Craig, the best parts of your blogs are the headlines. “Jason Bay press conference highlights” – nice one. I’m glad you’re putting your journalism degree to work.
    (How’s that for cynicism?)

24. Jonny5 - Jan 6, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Even though I hate the Mets as well………………. They most likely will be contenders in 2010. They are a team full of talented players. Look at their payroll…. if that isn’t proof enough……. I strongly feel the Mutts have been failing because they need a new manager. Jerry hasn’t been able to pull his team together since he started as the skipper there. Not to mention the injuries……. But where I’m going is….. Bay could end up making you eat your words as I feel the Mets are able to be a winning team. They won’t eclipse Philly but they’ll be very good in the division imo.

25. Ahahahaha - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Hello Pot……
    meet Kettle.
    You too sir, are a douchebag

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4822)