Jan 5, 2010, 3:27 PM EDT
The Indians didn’t want to go to arbitration with Kelly Shoppach because they figured he’d get $2.5 million or so, so they traded him to Tampa Bay. Today Shoppach avoided arbitration altogether by signing a two-year, $5.5. million deal with a club option for 2012.
The Rays recently signed Dioneer Navarro to a one-year, $2.1 million deal. Given the shorter, cheaper commitment to Navarro, methinks we’ve just seen a starter lose his job and/or become trade bait.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 36
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)