Jan 5, 2010, 3:27 PM EDT
The Indians didn’t want to go to arbitration with Kelly Shoppach because they figured he’d get $2.5 million or so, so they traded him to Tampa Bay. Today Shoppach avoided arbitration altogether by signing a two-year, $5.5. million deal with a club option for 2012.
The Rays recently signed Dioneer Navarro to a one-year, $2.1 million deal. Given the shorter, cheaper commitment to Navarro, methinks we’ve just seen a starter lose his job and/or become trade bait.
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 3
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 13
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)