Jan 5, 2010, 3:27 PM EDT
The Indians didn’t want to go to arbitration with Kelly Shoppach because they figured he’d get $2.5 million or so, so they traded him to Tampa Bay. Today Shoppach avoided arbitration altogether by signing a two-year, $5.5. million deal with a club option for 2012.
The Rays recently signed Dioneer Navarro to a one-year, $2.1 million deal. Given the shorter, cheaper commitment to Navarro, methinks we’ve just seen a starter lose his job and/or become trade bait.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)