Jan 5, 2010, 8:25 AM EST
Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch reports that Cardinals’ Chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. and GM John Mozeliak met with Scott Boras over the weekend, and that the team and Matt Holliday are “on the brink of a deal.” Tony La Russa acknowledged that a deal should be done this week, though he did say “At some point you have to go in one direction or the other,” suggesting that if it doesn’t get done very soon, it’s not going to happen at all.
Why? Because basically this is a situation in which the Cardinals are the only real player here. Yes, Boras has tried to create the illusion of competition, but St. Louis is ultimately bidding against itself if it does any significant additional bidding. Mozeliak knows this. Boras does too. As such, what’s likely happening now is not overall deal framework, but creativity around the edges — escalator clauses, vesting options and the like — all designed to allow one side or the other to spin the deal to their respective constituencies as a winner.
At this point, all I’m really interested in knowing is how close to right Jim Bowden was in all of this.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)