Matt Holliday and Cardinals are "on the brink of a deal"

Jan 5, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT

Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch reports that Cardinals’ Chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. and GM John Mozeliak met with Scott Boras over the weekend, and that the team and Matt Holliday are “on the brink of a deal.” Tony La Russa acknowledged that a deal should be done this week, though he did say “At some point you have to go in one direction or the other,” suggesting that if it doesn’t get done very soon, it’s not going to happen at all.

Why? Because basically this is a situation in which the Cardinals are the only real player here. Yes, Boras has tried to create the illusion of competition, but St. Louis is ultimately bidding against itself if it does any significant additional bidding. Mozeliak knows this. Boras does too. As such, what’s likely happening now is not overall deal framework, but creativity around the edges — escalator clauses, vesting options and the like — all designed to allow one side or the other to spin the deal to their respective constituencies as a winner.

At this point, all I’m really interested in knowing is how close to right Jim Bowden was in all of this.

1. Ice Berg - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Too long; didn’t read.

2. JasonC23 - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM

There’s medicine you can take for that, you know.

3. Shely - Jan 5, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Where were all the other teams who were interested in him. I guess this means Cinti. is not going to be a threat for another year or so. Why was baseball all up in arms about breaking up the Reds in the 70’s but now the rich just keep getting richer?

4. Old Gator - Jan 5, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it feels to me that Holliday and the Cards have been “on the brink of a deal” about as long as the Coyote has been hanging from the edge of a cliff by a daisy that is slowly tearing away at the root, while a single Roadrunner feather continues to float gently down towards his head.
    Will somebody please defecate or evacuate the porcelain goddess altogether? Please? This tension is putting me to sleep.

5. Fast Eddy - Jan 5, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Right on Old Gator. We are getting tired of this. I think however, that Boras has a lot to do with it. He made this thing much bigger than it had to be. Then he strung it out to see if any other team would bite. Well, they did nibble for a while, but then thought better of it and gave up and signed players with about the same talent, (Bay) but a more reasonable agent.

6. David Colvin - Jan 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM

That is some inspirational stuff. Never knew that opinions could be this varied. Thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.

7. cheap - Feb 10, 2010 at 3:42 AM

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on the list.

8. Emilly Loans - Feb 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I used to be schizophrenic, but we’re all right now.

9. Karen Release - Mar 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Me and my friend were arguing about this the other day! Now I know that I was right. lol! You?d better not be a dayfly and not having your day.

10. Paula Release - Mar 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Guy walks into a bar with jumper cables around his neck. Bartender says, “All right, I’ll let ya stay—but don’t start nuthin.”

11. Laura W. (Zoe L.) Bridge - Mar 5, 2010 at 6:39 AM

Finally I found clear answers. Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you’re an asshole.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4736)