Matt Holliday signs seven-year deal with Cardinals

Jan 5, 2010, 6:40 PM EST

Thumbnail image for holliday_090827.jpgYes, this Hot Stove drama is over. Jon Heyman of SI.com broke the news just under an hour ago, as Matt Holliday has agreed to a seven-year, $120 million contract with St. Louis. Holliday will receive $17 million per season, according to Matthew Leach of MLB.com, and a no-trade clause.

Holliday appeared on ESPN Radio just a short time ago confirming the signing, saying that it’s actually for $119 million, but there is some language that could push it to $120 million. But hey, what’s a million between friends? Either way, it’s the biggest contract in club history.

“I felt like it was a good fit for me an my family,” Holliday said on
the Doug Gottlieb show on ESPN. “I’m going back to the Cardinals. It
was very appealing to me. This has been a bit of a long process. There
are some emotional ups and downs that go with it. It hasn’t exactly
been a walk in the park.”

It’s not quite Mark Teixeira-money, but Scott Boras got his client over the $100 million threshold and then some. Likewise, it’s an important statement by the Cardinals organization,  as they attempt to keep Albert Pujols in the fold after his current contract expires at the end of the 2011 season.

Some will wonder what other legitimate offers Boras actually had on the table for his client since the Mets clearly preferred Jason Bay all along, but in the end both sides needed each other too much for this not to happen.

1. Tom Ginger - Jan 5, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Fantastic, now we just have pen Sir Albert to a ten year deal at 20 mil. a year! For the greatest player on this planet Ever!!!!!

2. gentle - Jan 5, 2010 at 7:46 PM

If A-Rod is worth 27.5MM per, don’t you think Pujols should get 30MM per?

3. Wells - Jan 5, 2010 at 7:48 PM

But Pujols is too nice to want money!!!

4. smokehouse - Jan 5, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Tom Ginger, your fickle statement is nauseating. I guess your saying he’s better than Aaron, Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Mays, and 250 others.

5. Reasonable - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Smokehouse, Pujols might not be in the top ten of all time but all things being even and with a long enough career, he might end up there. He is by far the best player active today.

6. Utley's hair - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM

To gentle
    Who said A-Rod’s worth 27.5 million?

7. Earl Schuette - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:12 PM

IRT Tom Ginger and Smokehouse: arguably, based on 9 years in the Bigs, AP has had a consistency in his career that is not matched by any other player in history. The scary thing is, he’s getting better. And he’s only 30. So while he may not be counted in the top 10 yet, given that he plays another 10 years at or near the level he is currently at, he will without a doubt be one of the top players in the history of the game.

8. Lou Paloma - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Yep, the LaRussa roid connection sure helps Pujols. That was the deal sealer for Matt. Now with new improved Big Mac roid connections!

9. Rob - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Who ever said A-Rod was worth that much other than the Yankees?

10. Old Gator - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:42 PM

I suspect that the player’s association must be breathing a little sigh of relief that a respectable team blew out its budget on one marquee player. I imagine that for the most part watching the tepid pace of free agent signings this offseason must have been a lot like watching the late lamented housing bubble collapse, in the immortal words of Cormac McCarthy, “like a huge and wounded medusa.”
    Aside from that, thank Buddha that this interminable soap opera has ended. It’s so cold down here in Miami this week that the iguanas are falling out of the trees and I was just about to cork my ass with chewed up leaves and twigs like a black bear in November and set my alarm clock to go off when Holliday actually signed someplace. Who of any importance is next?

11. Adam A - Jan 5, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I wrote a much longer analysis on my blog (link in my name), but basically, it’s a good deal, not a great one, and by 2014 it might be bad. Like Soriano bad.

12. gentle - Jan 5, 2010 at 11:33 PM

If A-Rod is paid 27.5MM per, don’t you think Pujols should get 30MM per?

13. trigger - Jan 6, 2010 at 1:15 AM

the whole thing is sick a family can t even afford to go to a game because of the money these players make and the owners pay them i say the fans don t buy tickets come on is anybody worth 105,000 a game

14. jim - Jan 6, 2010 at 2:47 AM

AROD 1000X better than pujos

15. Astrozac - Jan 6, 2010 at 3:28 AM

^That’s why A-Rod’s led his teams to so many more series titles… If Pujols really practiced what he preached, he’d sign for about 10 million a year so the Cards would be after to keep their payroll down and be able to keep Molina, Carpenter and Wainwright in the next few years. After all he said he cares more about winning titles and how the organization puts into the effort of making that happen. It would be nice, but he still has an ego and will want more than Holliday at the very least…

16. Mystic7 - Jan 6, 2010 at 6:29 AM

Oh, I don’t know, the Rangers? They deserve a large part of the blame for A-Rod’s annual salary.

17. stargatebabe - Jan 6, 2010 at 6:49 AM

Only in your dreams!

18. GBSimons - Jan 6, 2010 at 7:39 AM

I’ll take a guess and say Pujols get an 8-year, $200 million deal, though I certainly wouldn’t be shocked if it’s longer/higher.

19. zippity doo dah - Jan 6, 2010 at 7:41 AM

the Steinbrenner family!

20. JB - Jan 6, 2010 at 8:17 AM

@Astrozac – Pujols’ salary right now is 13M a year and that’s an increase from well under 10M a couple of years ago. He does practice what he preaches. That said we’re talking about the MVP of the DECADE – not just this past year. If he gets 20M+ a year he well deserves it in comparison to the other players also receiving that kind of money.
    @the guy that claims arod is 1000x better than pujols – do the numbers show that? No. They show very similar numbers, and based on MVP voting Pujols kills Arod. He’s got 3 and finished in the top 3 EIGHT TIMES in NINE YEARS.

21. Shely - Jan 6, 2010 at 8:27 AM

That is so dumb, it does not need to be commented on.

22. Joey B - Jan 6, 2010 at 9:02 AM

“If you really need to have a tiff over semantics, I’ll retract my comment and rephrase it:
    If A-Rod is paid 27.5MM per, don’t you think Pujols should get 30MM per?”
    No, because ARod gets paid in Yankee dollars, which are typically 20-30% higher than the other 29 teams. ARod effectively gets paid $30M per with the bonuses, and he is worth maybe $16-17M.

23. Utley's hair - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:15 AM

As much as I hate the Yankers and their pennant-buying ways–and yes, they did buy it, but it just took a really long time for the transaction to be completed–I do not think Pujols is worth 30/year. A-Fraud is not worth 27.5/year–which would automatically go up if Pujols got 30. And I’m not just jumping on pretty-boy A-Roid, either. NOBODY is worth $30 million a year.

24. apartment for rent - Jan 17, 2010 at 7:24 AM

There are three items you have to consoder when searching for apartment rent. Location, you have to make sure that the location is close to public transportation and entertainment. Neighbours, you dont want to find yourself with many neighbours from that other noisy religion (you all know what I mean). Gym – I will never consider an apartment rent complex with no gym. I hope this is enlightening and you never make the mistakes I made.

25. buy apartment - Jan 18, 2010 at 9:23 AM

When you buy apartment in Banagalore, make sure you get an apartment with a view. What the point paying so much for an apartment in the city when you don’t get to enjoy the nice view?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6229)