Jan 5, 2010, 2:37 AM EDT
This morning, Craig touched on Carlos Delgado’s return to action in the Puerto Rican Winter League, mentioning that the Mets could be interested in bringing the slugging first baseman back to New York.
Turns out that they are, indeed, interested. From MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez:
One day after Carlos Delgado made his return from hip surgery in the Puerto Rican Winter League, Newsday attributed “a person familiar with the club’s thinking” in reporting that the Mets are “very interested” in bringing the lefty-hitting slugger back.
Delgado was good last year, putting up a .298/.393/.521 line. Of course, that came in a grand total of 26 games as the 37-year-old broke down in his 17th season.
Gonzalez expects the Mets to offer an incentive-laden deal, which only makes sense considering (a) Delgado is coming back from injury, and (b) the market stinks for players right now. (See, Adrian Beltre).
The Orioles have also been rumored to be interested, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the ever-active Mariners – who still haven’t convinced Russell Branyan to take a one-year deal – to at least explore the idea.
But I would be surprised to see Delgado return to Toronto, despite this plea from a sad Peter Pan looking for comfort.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)