Jan 5, 2010, 2:37 AM EDT
This morning, Craig touched on Carlos Delgado’s return to action in the Puerto Rican Winter League, mentioning that the Mets could be interested in bringing the slugging first baseman back to New York.
Turns out that they are, indeed, interested. From MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez:
One day after Carlos Delgado made his return from hip surgery in the Puerto Rican Winter League, Newsday attributed “a person familiar with the club’s thinking” in reporting that the Mets are “very interested” in bringing the lefty-hitting slugger back.
Delgado was good last year, putting up a .298/.393/.521 line. Of course, that came in a grand total of 26 games as the 37-year-old broke down in his 17th season.
Gonzalez expects the Mets to offer an incentive-laden deal, which only makes sense considering (a) Delgado is coming back from injury, and (b) the market stinks for players right now. (See, Adrian Beltre).
The Orioles have also been rumored to be interested, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the ever-active Mariners – who still haven’t convinced Russell Branyan to take a one-year deal – to at least explore the idea.
But I would be surprised to see Delgado return to Toronto, despite this plea from a sad Peter Pan looking for comfort.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 0
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 28
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)