Jan 5, 2010, 2:37 AM EDT
This morning, Craig touched on Carlos Delgado’s return to action in the Puerto Rican Winter League, mentioning that the Mets could be interested in bringing the slugging first baseman back to New York.
Turns out that they are, indeed, interested. From MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez:
One day after Carlos Delgado made his return from hip surgery in the Puerto Rican Winter League, Newsday attributed “a person familiar with the club’s thinking” in reporting that the Mets are “very interested” in bringing the lefty-hitting slugger back.
Delgado was good last year, putting up a .298/.393/.521 line. Of course, that came in a grand total of 26 games as the 37-year-old broke down in his 17th season.
Gonzalez expects the Mets to offer an incentive-laden deal, which only makes sense considering (a) Delgado is coming back from injury, and (b) the market stinks for players right now. (See, Adrian Beltre).
The Orioles have also been rumored to be interested, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the ever-active Mariners – who still haven’t convinced Russell Branyan to take a one-year deal – to at least explore the idea.
But I would be surprised to see Delgado return to Toronto, despite this plea from a sad Peter Pan looking for comfort.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)