Jan 5, 2010, 2:37 AM EDT
This morning, Craig touched on Carlos Delgado’s return to action in the Puerto Rican Winter League, mentioning that the Mets could be interested in bringing the slugging first baseman back to New York.
Turns out that they are, indeed, interested. From MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez:
One day after Carlos Delgado made his return from hip surgery in the Puerto Rican Winter League, Newsday attributed “a person familiar with the club’s thinking” in reporting that the Mets are “very interested” in bringing the lefty-hitting slugger back.
Delgado was good last year, putting up a .298/.393/.521 line. Of course, that came in a grand total of 26 games as the 37-year-old broke down in his 17th season.
Gonzalez expects the Mets to offer an incentive-laden deal, which only makes sense considering (a) Delgado is coming back from injury, and (b) the market stinks for players right now. (See, Adrian Beltre).
The Orioles have also been rumored to be interested, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the ever-active Mariners – who still haven’t convinced Russell Branyan to take a one-year deal – to at least explore the idea.
But I would be surprised to see Delgado return to Toronto, despite this plea from a sad Peter Pan looking for comfort.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)