Jan 5, 2010, 2:37 AM EDT
This morning, Craig touched on Carlos Delgado’s return to action in the Puerto Rican Winter League, mentioning that the Mets could be interested in bringing the slugging first baseman back to New York.
Turns out that they are, indeed, interested. From MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez:
One day after Carlos Delgado made his return from hip surgery in the Puerto Rican Winter League, Newsday attributed “a person familiar with the club’s thinking” in reporting that the Mets are “very interested” in bringing the lefty-hitting slugger back.
Delgado was good last year, putting up a .298/.393/.521 line. Of course, that came in a grand total of 26 games as the 37-year-old broke down in his 17th season.
Gonzalez expects the Mets to offer an incentive-laden deal, which only makes sense considering (a) Delgado is coming back from injury, and (b) the market stinks for players right now. (See, Adrian Beltre).
The Orioles have also been rumored to be interested, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the ever-active Mariners – who still haven’t convinced Russell Branyan to take a one-year deal – to at least explore the idea.
But I would be surprised to see Delgado return to Toronto, despite this plea from a sad Peter Pan looking for comfort.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)