Mets 'very interested' in bringing back Delgado

Jan 5, 2010, 2:37 AM EDT

This morning, Craig touched on Carlos Delgado’s return to action in the Puerto Rican Winter League, mentioning that the Mets could be interested in bringing the slugging first baseman back to New York.

Turns out that they are, indeed, interested. From MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez:

One day after Carlos Delgado made his return from hip surgery in the Puerto Rican Winter League, Newsday attributed “a person familiar with the club’s thinking” in reporting that the Mets are “very interested” in bringing the lefty-hitting slugger back.

Delgado was good last year, putting up a .298/.393/.521 line. Of course, that came in a grand total of 26 games as the 37-year-old broke down in his 17th season.

Gonzalez expects the Mets to offer an incentive-laden deal, which only makes sense considering  (a) Delgado is coming back from injury, and (b) the market stinks for players right now. (See, Adrian Beltre).

The Orioles have also been rumored to be interested, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the ever-active Mariners – who still haven’t convinced Russell Branyan to take a one-year deal – to at least explore the idea.

But I would be surprised to see Delgado return to Toronto, despite this plea from a sad Peter Pan looking for comfort.

Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.

1. AJ Gallo - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:03 AM

What’s that saying about the definition of insanity? Something about making the same mistake over and over and expecting a different outcome?

2. willmose - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Delgado is exactly what the Mets need. An out of shape, 37 year old, injury prone, coming back from an injury player. With the Mets FO thinking like this, the Nats are looking at a 4th place finish.

3. BennyN - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Speaking of insanity. Just read the comment from willmose.

4. Frank - Jan 5, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Please. You think Omar can pass up an aging, broken-down LATINO player? Not a chance. That’s his reason for living.

5. Shirley - Jan 5, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Deja vu all over again!!

6. Metzfan - Jan 5, 2010 at 10:57 AM

If the market “stinks” why not Laroche? How about Lowell? Why not Uggla or Tejada?

7. cranky62 - Jan 5, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Lets Go Mets….I see they are putting a new roof on the same old out house plus tossing in a few “names” to keep the wallets in the seats. I’ll consider buying my first ticket after the all star game thanx. Piti field will have to wait for me !

8. AJ Gallo - Jan 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM

My hats off to you for nailing that one right on the nose!

9. Bill in PtStLucie - Jan 5, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Prone to breaking down 158 games in 2008. And I also remember chants of MVP coming from the stands after an incredible second half. I don’t think there was one unhappy met fan when his option was picked up for ’09 after his second half of ’08. 3rd in nl in hrs and 5th in RBI. Yea hes 37 Yea hes gonna miss a few games. Yea last year sucked. Do you really want Murphy out there 162 at first? I don’t! 15-20 games yea 30 maybe. He will be a bargin. Well rested and healthy, well as healthy as a 37 year old can be, but also will hit 30-40 and drive in 100 plus.
    Sometimes I am embarrased to be a met fan and more often because of other mets ‘fans’ than because of the team.

10. Roger - Jan 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM

thank you bill, these people dont realize how much delgado has left in the tank, remember how good sheffield did before he got hurt?

11. TigerS Boy ToY - Jan 5, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Bill, Roger it hasn’t been easy on the Met Fan lately, but I wet my pants laughing how Met fans RIP there team. I have to give it to you fellas sticking with the Mets and LQQKING forward to spring traing.I think Delgado has something left in the tank, Reyes, Beltran, Maine also returning from injuries should help, is Molina gonna sign, I think so maybe a few arms on the cheap. The Mets were doing pretty good against the Phils before ALL the injuries.
    GOOD LUCK FELLAS, I HOPE THEY HAVE A GOOD YEAR.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto