Miguel Olivo signs; Royals fans weep; Dayton Moore should be fired

Jan 5, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT

As reported by Troy Renck last week, the Colorado Rockies finalized their agreement with Miguel Olivo yesterday: one year and $2
million, with a club option for 2011.

Good for the Rockies.  Even if the Rockies exercise Olivo’s option — which is $2.5 million — they will have saved $1.5 million over what Yorvit Torrealba wanted guaranteed.

But this deal is far more significant for Royals fans, who just saw one of their catchers — Olivo — leave for a one year,
$2.5 million deal, and their other catcher — John Buck — leave for a one year, $2 million deal of his own.

In their place: one catcher, Jason Kendall, who is worse than either Olivo or Buck, for two years, $6 million. As Royal watcher Rany Jazayerli tweeted last night: “In Dayton’s world,
Kendall > (Olivo+Buck). We need a VP of Common Sense.“

There is one other possibility here: that Dayton Moore actually recognized that Olivo and Buck were better options, but they would not, under any circumstances, sign with Kansas City.

No matter which explanation it is — incompetence or the creation of a team no one wants any part of — Dayton Moore needs to be fired.

1. Shely - Jan 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Are there really any KC fans left? If there is any team more hapless than the Pirates, it has to be the Royals. At least the Pirates seem to be reorganizing. The Royals seem to be digging a hole for the grave. I agree, fire Moore.

2. Fast Eddy - Jan 5, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Yes, by all means, fire Moore. It is obvious he doesn’t know what he is doing. This team is headed for the graveyard. How can you lose all of the players who had a chance to give you a winning season?

3. Old Gator - Jan 5, 2010 at 11:11 AM

You’ve lost your nerve, Craig. And you coming from a legal career in a state where capital punishment is only a tad less popular than pork barbecue.
    Come on now – tell us what you really think they ought to do to Dayton Moore.

4. ecp - Jan 5, 2010 at 11:28 AM

If the Royals really wanted to keep Miguel Olivo all they needed to do was exercise their side of his option. Given that it was for $3.3 million, I think he would have agreed. As for Buck, he was a non-tender still under club control. So whether those guys would or would not have signed is a non-issue.
    In Moore’s mind, the passed balls and unblocked pitches that turned into wild pitches outweighed the 31 home runs contributed by Olivo and Buck combined. Having spent the entire season watching the comedic defensive ineptitude of the these two guys, I have a little understanding of his attitude. The larger problem is the overreaction in signing Kendall when it seems that had he simply waited he would have found that there were better, cheaper options available.

5. Joey B - Jan 5, 2010 at 11:49 AM

“The larger problem is the overreaction in signing Kendall when it seems that had he simply waited he would have found that there were better, cheaper options available.”
    Agreed. It’s one thing to cut ties with a player because you don’t like his defense. But it seems like everyone out there signed catchers as good or better than Kendall for far better terms.
    This is just like last year when he acquired Farnsworth, Jacobs, Crisp, and Pena. It just looks like more spending, but not more talent, almost in an effort to make a non-contender older, instead of younger.
    I think Pittsburgh finally saw the light and blew up everything, and in a couple of years, might be a competitive team. I see absolutely no direction in KC.

6. Jeff - Jan 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Craig, you have to trust “the process”. You will now be banned from the Royals press box for this upcoming season.

7. Oldtimer - Jan 5, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Don’t ever blame the General Manager for this fiasco. This entire issue smells of the Glass attitude that less is more, in his pocket. I cannot imagine spending money on a product as cut rate as this team. There you have it KC fans, the Royals are the Wal-Mart of baseball. Their next step will be to unload Greinke and Mesch in their never ending attempt to cut the payroll to 25 times the league minimum (six to seven million). I’m so old, I remember how much I hated Charlie Finley, when he owned the A’s here. Glass makes me wish we had old Charlie back.

8. Andrew Pelt - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

What the… you will not belief this. My mindless dog simply farted on my knee!? I mean what is the problem with that!? I feed this thing and I get that in exchange. I even now will not really belief this. Anyway, you have got a few helpful information there in your posting. I knew Google will bring me to some unique stuff today :). Okay should hunt this creature now! Have a good evening you all!

9. Garrett Folkins - Feb 18, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Took me time to read all these responses, but I really appreciated the article. It turned out to be to be very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be up to date, but also entertained! I’m sure you had fun writing this post.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3495)