Jan 5, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
Good for the Rockies. Even if the Rockies exercise Olivo’s option — which is $2.5 million — they will have saved $1.5 million over what Yorvit Torrealba wanted guaranteed.
But this deal is far more significant for Royals fans, who just saw one of their catchers — Olivo — leave for a one year,
$2.5 million deal, and their other catcher — John Buck — leave for a one year, $2 million deal of his own.
In their place: one catcher, Jason Kendall, who is worse than either Olivo or Buck, for two years, $6 million. As Royal watcher Rany Jazayerli tweeted last night: “In Dayton’s world,
Kendall > (Olivo+Buck). We need a VP of Common Sense.“
There is one other possibility here: that Dayton Moore actually recognized that Olivo and Buck were better options, but they would not, under any circumstances, sign with Kansas City.
No matter which explanation it is — incompetence or the creation of a team no one wants any part of — Dayton Moore needs to be fired.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 9
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 42
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 61
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)