Jan 5, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
Good for the Rockies. Even if the Rockies exercise Olivo’s option — which is $2.5 million — they will have saved $1.5 million over what Yorvit Torrealba wanted guaranteed.
But this deal is far more significant for Royals fans, who just saw one of their catchers — Olivo — leave for a one year,
$2.5 million deal, and their other catcher — John Buck — leave for a one year, $2 million deal of his own.
In their place: one catcher, Jason Kendall, who is worse than either Olivo or Buck, for two years, $6 million. As Royal watcher Rany Jazayerli tweeted last night: “In Dayton’s world,
Kendall > (Olivo+Buck). We need a VP of Common Sense.“
There is one other possibility here: that Dayton Moore actually recognized that Olivo and Buck were better options, but they would not, under any circumstances, sign with Kansas City.
No matter which explanation it is — incompetence or the creation of a team no one wants any part of — Dayton Moore needs to be fired.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)