Jan 5, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
Good for the Rockies. Even if the Rockies exercise Olivo’s option — which is $2.5 million — they will have saved $1.5 million over what Yorvit Torrealba wanted guaranteed.
But this deal is far more significant for Royals fans, who just saw one of their catchers — Olivo — leave for a one year,
$2.5 million deal, and their other catcher — John Buck — leave for a one year, $2 million deal of his own.
In their place: one catcher, Jason Kendall, who is worse than either Olivo or Buck, for two years, $6 million. As Royal watcher Rany Jazayerli tweeted last night: “In Dayton’s world,
Kendall > (Olivo+Buck). We need a VP of Common Sense.“
There is one other possibility here: that Dayton Moore actually recognized that Olivo and Buck were better options, but they would not, under any circumstances, sign with Kansas City.
No matter which explanation it is — incompetence or the creation of a team no one wants any part of — Dayton Moore needs to be fired.
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 32
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86