Jan 5, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
Good for the Rockies. Even if the Rockies exercise Olivo’s option — which is $2.5 million — they will have saved $1.5 million over what Yorvit Torrealba wanted guaranteed.
But this deal is far more significant for Royals fans, who just saw one of their catchers — Olivo — leave for a one year,
$2.5 million deal, and their other catcher — John Buck — leave for a one year, $2 million deal of his own.
In their place: one catcher, Jason Kendall, who is worse than either Olivo or Buck, for two years, $6 million. As Royal watcher Rany Jazayerli tweeted last night: “In Dayton’s world,
Kendall > (Olivo+Buck). We need a VP of Common Sense.“
There is one other possibility here: that Dayton Moore actually recognized that Olivo and Buck were better options, but they would not, under any circumstances, sign with Kansas City.
No matter which explanation it is — incompetence or the creation of a team no one wants any part of — Dayton Moore needs to be fired.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights