Jan 5, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
Good for the Rockies. Even if the Rockies exercise Olivo’s option — which is $2.5 million — they will have saved $1.5 million over what Yorvit Torrealba wanted guaranteed.
But this deal is far more significant for Royals fans, who just saw one of their catchers — Olivo — leave for a one year,
$2.5 million deal, and their other catcher — John Buck — leave for a one year, $2 million deal of his own.
In their place: one catcher, Jason Kendall, who is worse than either Olivo or Buck, for two years, $6 million. As Royal watcher Rany Jazayerli tweeted last night: “In Dayton’s world,
Kendall > (Olivo+Buck). We need a VP of Common Sense.“
There is one other possibility here: that Dayton Moore actually recognized that Olivo and Buck were better options, but they would not, under any circumstances, sign with Kansas City.
No matter which explanation it is — incompetence or the creation of a team no one wants any part of — Dayton Moore needs to be fired.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)