Jan 5, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rosenthal confirms that Johnson is retiring. He also notes that Johnson is moving his conference call to 7 P.M. tonight so as not to interfere with the Hall of Fame announcement tomorrow.
3:49 P.M.: Several baseball writers have tweeted that Randy Johnson has announced a conference call tomorrow. My guess is that he’s not doing it to announce that he’s accepted a make-good deal with the Diamondbacks or something.
Aside from the curious timing — dude, the Hall of Fame announcements are happening tomorrow — this is probably good news. Johnson is leaving with his legacy untarnished and will no doubt be joining those Hall of Famers the very first year he is eligible to do so.
UPDATE: Jim Bowden has some advice regarding Johnson’s timing: “Randy Johnson- please don’t pull a Kanye West.”
For what it’s worth, Johnson doesn’t appear to enjoy media attention too much. In light of this It wouldn’t surprise me if his thinking was “hey, if I do this tomorrow, maybe it will get lost in the shuffle and I won’t have to answer too many questions” instead of some “hey, look at me grab the spotlight from the Hall of Famers!” Still, if I were him I’d do it Thursday.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'