Jan 5, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rosenthal confirms that Johnson is retiring. He also notes that Johnson is moving his conference call to 7 P.M. tonight so as not to interfere with the Hall of Fame announcement tomorrow.
3:49 P.M.: Several baseball writers have tweeted that Randy Johnson has announced a conference call tomorrow. My guess is that he’s not doing it to announce that he’s accepted a make-good deal with the Diamondbacks or something.
Aside from the curious timing — dude, the Hall of Fame announcements are happening tomorrow — this is probably good news. Johnson is leaving with his legacy untarnished and will no doubt be joining those Hall of Famers the very first year he is eligible to do so.
UPDATE: Jim Bowden has some advice regarding Johnson’s timing: “Randy Johnson- please don’t pull a Kanye West.”
For what it’s worth, Johnson doesn’t appear to enjoy media attention too much. In light of this It wouldn’t surprise me if his thinking was “hey, if I do this tomorrow, maybe it will get lost in the shuffle and I won’t have to answer too many questions” instead of some “hey, look at me grab the spotlight from the Hall of Famers!” Still, if I were him I’d do it Thursday.
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 3
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 23
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)