UPDATE: Randy Johnson announcing retirement tonight

Jan 5, 2010, 4:51 PM EST

UPDATE: Rosenthal confirms that Johnson is retiring. He also notes that Johnson is moving his conference call to 7 P.M. tonight so as not to interfere with the Hall of Fame announcement tomorrow.

3:49 P.M.: Several baseball writers have tweeted that Randy Johnson has announced a conference call tomorrow.  My guess is that he’s not doing it to announce that he’s accepted a make-good deal with the Diamondbacks or something.

Aside from the curious timing — dude, the Hall of Fame announcements are happening tomorrow — this is probably good news. Johnson is leaving with his legacy untarnished and will no doubt be joining those Hall of Famers the very first year he is eligible to do so.

UPDATE: Jim Bowden has some advice regarding Johnson’s timing: “Randy Johnson- please don’t pull a Kanye West.”

For what it’s worth, Johnson doesn’t appear to enjoy media attention too much. In light of this It wouldn’t surprise me if his thinking was “hey, if I do this tomorrow, maybe it will get lost in the shuffle and I won’t have to answer too many questions” instead of some “hey, look at me grab the spotlight from the Hall of Famers!”  Still, if I were him I’d do it Thursday.

1. Cru11 - Jan 5, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Hats off to Randy, what a fabulous career. I’ve always admired his determination and grit as a true competitor. I was happy to see him get his 300th win this year as he truly deserved it. Talk about a menacing figure standing 60 ft away at 6ft 10 with the mullet from hell.

2. Josh - Jan 5, 2010 at 4:50 PM

If he didn’t get hurt last year, the Giants would have taken the wild card and possibly caught the Dodgers. Imagine if he and the rest of that Giants pitching staff could have made the playoffs last year?

3. YANKEES1996 - Jan 5, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Well, it will be sad to see “The Big Unit” hang’em up, but he has had a fantastic career. I wish him nothing but the best for the future, Good Luck Randy and thanks for the memories.
    I still remember John Kruk batting against Randy in the All-Star game when Johnson’s first pitched sailed over Kruk’s head, Kruk restarted his heart got back in the box took 3 strikes and gladly walked back to the dugout with a look of Extreme Relief on his face.

4. Dana G - Jan 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I was at the SF game where Randy was injured. Even where we were sitting it didn’t look good. What a fabulous career he’s had and it will be sad to not have his energy and wisdom in our clubhouse. Thank you Big Unit for a fantastic ride!

5. Old Gator - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:28 PM

It’s hard to imagine baseball without the Unit, isn’t it? Enjoy the sunset, big guy. You definitely earned it.
    Wow – look how much prettier the game just got!
    (Craig – that was the first of those refined cynicism lessons I promised you. Gratis.)

6. Old Mariner - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:44 PM

If only Randy had some decent relief pitching while with the Seattle Mariners, he could have won 50 more games. Easily the most dominant left handed pitcher over a period of 15 years. Entire line-ups had to be changed when he was on the mound. A terrific career!!

7. DBacksFan - Jan 5, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Sad to see you go Randy, you were one of the best. A big thanks for helping the DBacks win the 2001 series, they couldn’t have done it without you!
    Here’s a clip from the way back machine. Who can forget his appearance in the 93 All Star game against John Kruk :-)

8. Wade - Jan 5, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Forgot the year it happened and the exact premise, but I remember after a landmark game in Seattle, the ESPN dynamic duo of Patrick and Olbermann stated that Johnson was unavailable for comment due to his going to dinner with Geddy Lee of Rush immediately after the game. They then each quipped about how they cherished their copies of ’2112′. One great mullet deserves another.
    As a Braves fan, that perfect game hurt to watch, but was incredible just the same. All the best to the Big Hurt.

9. Hey - Feb 1, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Hey there, when browsing at your site i see some sort of weird codes all over the page, in case it’s important I just thought I’d let you know it says this with all sorts of other stuff after it: “Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent in wp-settings.php line 12″

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4766)