Jan 5, 2010, 11:18 PM EST
Relief pitcher Luis Ayala, who is under a minor league contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers, was unharmed when gunmen stormed his house in Culiacan, Mexico, on Tuesday in an apparent kidnapping attempt.
Martin Robles, a spokesman for the state prosecutors’ office, said investigators believed Ayala was the intended victim, whom police prevented from being abducted.
Robles said gunmen in three vehicles forced their way into Ayala’s home near the city of Los Mochis on Monday by shooting open the door.
The assailants were apparently scared off when soldiers arrived at the scene after police received an emergency phone call. Ayala and his family were not hurt, though the pitcher was found handcuffed.
Ayala is 29-39 with a 3.67 ERA in six seasons with the Expos/Nats, Mets, Twins and Marlins.
This is just the latest is what seems to be a growing trend. In November, the mother of former pitcher Victor Zambrano was kidnapped and later rescued, and last season, the son of catcher Yorvit Torrealba was also kidnapped.
Just last month Mets ace Johan Santana returned to Venezuela, but not without a security detail for he and his family.
You have to wonder at what point “going home” simply isn’t worth the danger anymore, for both the player and his family.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 0
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 23
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 79
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)