Jan 5, 2010, 5:08 PM EDT
Busy day in Seattle.
Dave Cameron, backed up by Francisco Blavia, tweets that the Mariners are on the verge of signing the arbitration-eligible Franklin Gutierrez to a four-year extension valued at $20.5 million. (UPDATE: Rosenthal now confirms it).
In addition to solidifying the M’s centerfield for some time, it means that Dustin Ackley — who was drafted as a centerfielder and played there during the Arizona Fall League — is most definitely moving to second base. Of course, he played first base before being drafted, so maybe he goes there once Kotchman’s race has run in Seattle. He doesn’t have the power of your typical first baseman, but then again, neither does Kotchman.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 0
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 19
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)