Jan 5, 2010, 5:08 PM EST
Busy day in Seattle.
Dave Cameron, backed up by Francisco Blavia, tweets that the Mariners are on the verge of signing the arbitration-eligible Franklin Gutierrez to a four-year extension valued at $20.5 million. (UPDATE: Rosenthal now confirms it).
In addition to solidifying the M’s centerfield for some time, it means that Dustin Ackley — who was drafted as a centerfielder and played there during the Arizona Fall League — is most definitely moving to second base. Of course, he played first base before being drafted, so maybe he goes there once Kotchman’s race has run in Seattle. He doesn’t have the power of your typical first baseman, but then again, neither does Kotchman.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)