Jan 5, 2010, 5:08 PM EST
Busy day in Seattle.
Dave Cameron, backed up by Francisco Blavia, tweets that the Mariners are on the verge of signing the arbitration-eligible Franklin Gutierrez to a four-year extension valued at $20.5 million. (UPDATE: Rosenthal now confirms it).
In addition to solidifying the M’s centerfield for some time, it means that Dustin Ackley — who was drafted as a centerfielder and played there during the Arizona Fall League — is most definitely moving to second base. Of course, he played first base before being drafted, so maybe he goes there once Kotchman’s race has run in Seattle. He doesn’t have the power of your typical first baseman, but then again, neither does Kotchman.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)