Jan 5, 2010, 5:08 PM EDT
Busy day in Seattle.
Dave Cameron, backed up by Francisco Blavia, tweets that the Mariners are on the verge of signing the arbitration-eligible Franklin Gutierrez to a four-year extension valued at $20.5 million. (UPDATE: Rosenthal now confirms it).
In addition to solidifying the M’s centerfield for some time, it means that Dustin Ackley — who was drafted as a centerfielder and played there during the Arizona Fall League — is most definitely moving to second base. Of course, he played first base before being drafted, so maybe he goes there once Kotchman’s race has run in Seattle. He doesn’t have the power of your typical first baseman, but then again, neither does Kotchman.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 87
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 229
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (229)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (104)