Jan 5, 2010, 10:16 PM EST
My favorite catcher is now Tyler Flowers of the Chicago White Sox, simply because he has the guts to say he’s ready to be the starter, never mind that A.J. Pierzynski fellow.
“When I look at the whole offseason, I’m preparing myself to be the starting catcher for the White Sox,” said Flowers, during a phone interview from his home in Atlanta. “When the White Sox tell me I’m not starting, then I’ll prepare to be the backup. And if I’m not the backup, then I’ll prepare myself to be back in Charlotte.”
OK so he’s kind of kidding around. But I think that’s an even better reason to like him. Baseball could use a little more happy-go-lucky banter, and a little less of the “I’m-just-happy-to-help-the-ballclub” platitudes. In fact, I would be signing up to be president of his fan club if he had said this: “And if I’m not in Charlotte, I’ll prepare myself to sell Lady Kenmores at Sears.”
He didn’t, but I’ll cut him some slack. After all, he was two years old when “Bull Durham” came out.
Flowers, who came to Chicago from Atlanta in the Javier Vazquez trade in Dec. 2008, did go on to stump for some time at DH in the upcoming season, joking that if Pierzynski got hurt, one-time catching prospect Paul Konerko could move behind the dish. Sounds like Flowers could be a nice foil for Ozzie Guillen, only perhaps without all the profanity.
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 87
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 35
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (96)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (82)