Jan 5, 2010, 12:23 AM EDT
Jason Giambi is considering re-signing with the Colorado Rockies. We know this because a source said as much to Troy Renck of The Denver Post.
Giambi opened up his new club “Vanity” at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas this week. He’s a part owner in the venture, and lives in Vegas during the offseason. Sources hanging out at the club today told me that Giambi is still considering remaining with the Rockies because of his positive experience last year.
“Sources hanging out” at a club in Las Vegas? Sounds reliable to me. What could possibly go wrong?
Often in a situation like this, a newspaper’s editor must know the name of his writer’s unnamed source, so maybe we can have faith that Renck’s source is Giambi’s agent, his brother Jeremy, a former teammate or maybe even Jason himself. But this particular phrasing doesn’t lend itself much confidence does it? Someone might think the info came from one of Tiger Woods’ girlfriends or one of O.J. Simpson’s memorabilia-collecting buddies.
Luckily, talk of Giambi’s destination for the 2010 season doesn’t carry a lot of buzz these days. It’s not like he’s Brett Favre. So if Renck wants to quote little old ladies playing the slot machines, more power to him.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 26
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)