Andre Dawson inducted to the Hall of Fame: Beyond that? Epic Failure

Jan 6, 2010, 2:09 PM EDT

Hall of Fame logo.GIFThe votes have been counted and Andre Dawson is the only candidate to get elected to the Hall of Fame. This is an epic fail on the part of the Baseball Writers Association of America.

Bert Blyleven received 74.2 percent. Barry Larkin 51.6. Alomar 73.7.  All three of them deserved entrance.  Larkin and Alomar no doubt will soon.  Based on the mental gymnastics so many voters have made to exclude Blyleven, however, he may never make it. This has to be a bitter pill for him to swallow.

As for Andre Dawson, the Hawk may not have been everyone’s definition of a Hall of Famer due to his low on-base percentage — in fact, he now has the lowest OBP and batting average of any Hall of Fame outfielder — but he hit for power, had a cannon arm, and until the Olympic Stadium turf took its toll on his knees, he was an excellent centerfielder.  He won an MVP award in 1987 on the power of a then unfathomable 49 home runs. A quiet, dignified player in his career and since he retired, Andre Dawson’s statistics may not dazzle compared to other Hall of Famers, but he definitely classes the place up.

But I don’t think it takes away from Dawson’s honor to note that, objectively speaking, he was perhaps the least deserving of enshrinement thank Larkin, Alomar and Blyleven.

We’ll have more on this as the day goes on, of course.  For now: shame on you BBWAA. Shame on you.

1. Derek - Jan 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Respectfully, Mike C, a fan vote for HOF would not be a good thing.
    For every person who, while they may be a homer for a specific team, also has an appreciation for the game of baseball, you have 1,000 “fans” who don’t really appreciate the history of the game outside their team/league/era. I happen to be a 30 yr old Evil Empire fan, but I can also talk to my dad & his friends about the players of the 40s/50s/60s like Bob Gibson or Harmon Killebrew. Sure I never saw them, but I know of their accomplishments and reputations.
    What I’m trying to say is, Baseball fans such as you and myself would be crowded out by team/player X fans who would blow up the voting process. (I capitalized Baseball to emphasize being a fan of the entire game). As much a fan I am of Don Mattingly, I still lean toward ‘no’ on his worthiness to the Hall. However, a fan vote would have put him in just b/c of his status with Yankees fans. Hell, Bernie Williams would get elected in this scenario.
    Allowing the fans to get involved does turn it into a popularity contest. I do like the idea of players/managers getting involved. Maybe guys with 10+ years service or some set threshold.
    I am one who believes Blyleven should be in, and after reading up on it, I also believe Marvin Miller should be included. Most fans have no idea who Marvin Miller even is.

2. Savoir lar - Jan 6, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Barry Larkin? Hall of Fame? You have got to be friggin’ kidding me…talk about devaluing the HOF. Larkin couldn’t even carry Gil Hodges’ jockstrap. Who’s next, Dave Kingman?

3. Old Gator - Jan 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM

When the oldtimer’s committee failed to induct Buck O’Neill, as far as I was concerned there was no further “shame” the mentally constipated prima donnas of the BBWA could bring upon themselves that was worth mentioning by comparison. It strikes me as funny to have these mental and spiritual pipsqueaks who will be remembered by no one themselves passing judgment on the immortals of the game. Jerks.

4. Bob - Jan 6, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Until the Hall gets legit and welcomes two of the best hitters ever – Shoeless Joe Jackson, BA .356 and Pete Rose, the best hitter of all time, I cannot get interested in who goes in and who doesn’t. These are little men with their numbers, while the Giants stay on the outside looking in.

5. des - Jan 6, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Albert Belle had better numbers than anybody elected today or anybody mentioned today

6. Tom - Jan 6, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Sweet spoof of an old time stats guy…

7. Don - Jan 6, 2010 at 3:31 PM

If McGuire doesn’t get in there is no way Sosa will make it.

8. Chris L - Jan 6, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Blyleven, as much as I hate them, I think you need to see what you can do to join the Yankees and get 13 more wins…if that doesn’t get you in the hall then apparently nothing will at this point…EPIC FAILURE is correct Craig…I’m glad that at least one writer knows who deserves the HOF!!

9. ecp - Jan 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM

I have decided that, beyond the 58 writers selected to vote on the Cy Young awards this season (and some of them are suspect as well), the BBWAA has clearly not progressed as much as we thought. Sigh. God, I feel for Blyleven. It won’t ease the hurt any, but he’s in my personal Hall of Fame. Maybe in the next couple of years five writers will wake up – or retire and be replaced by five smarter writers.

10. Randy Raines - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM

The saddest thing about this article is the mention of Gil Hodges not getting in the Hall of Fame! The Veteran’s committee must be idiots!

11. mike - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:07 PM

49 home runs “unfathomable” ?? That was 1987 not 1917.

12. monticello - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Without Ron Santo in it, the HOF shows it’s imperfection. One of the best all-round 3rd basemen of his time. One of the best I’ve ever watched on a daily basis. Had he been with a team that actually won something, he’d be in there. Shame on you BBWAA!! I vow never to visit the HOF until Ron Santo is enshrined.

13. joe - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:09 PM

there’s no doubt in my mind that alomar juiced.

14. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Yeah, but at that time no one had hit 50 in a decade. I’m not sure if you were watching a ton of baseball in 1987, but Dawson and Bell’s pursuit of 50 home runs was thought of as quasi-historic.
    Would you settle for quasi-unfathomable?

15. Randy Raines - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I agree with your statement about Gil Hodges! Should have been in the Hall of Fame years ago. This is a travesty.

16. H25 - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Yes, Gil Hodges absolutely belongs in the Hall. But so does Barry Larkin

17. Wayne Ripel - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Dave Nystuen
    You obviously never saw Blyleven pitch. Best damn curve ball I have ever seen and I have seen a lot in my time. Unfortunately, he played for a crappy team, but a great player has been skipped. Shame on the Baseball Writers. This has become a popularity contest and not a recognition of ability and contribution to the game.
    Too Bad!

18. Rick D - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:23 PM

If Roberto Alomar hadn’t spit directly into the face of an umpire, he’d be in the Hall of Fame by now—-

19. Jim - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:33 PM

The failure of Bert Blyleven to be elected to the Hall of Fame is a travesty and it show the politics of the whole process and diminishes the honor. Shame on the voters!

20. Jon Medek - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Is it ONLY about the numbers? Really? Does that tell the whole story? Never has, never will. Stats will only “help” those who haven’t seen the player in person over dozens and dozens of actual games. This is much like the educational system having only standardized tests to determine performance. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
    PS: what happens when the newspapers go out of business and there are no more actual baseball writers? hmmmmmm …. what will you do HOF, what will you do?

21. H25 - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Roberto Alomar should be in there. Period. He was one of the best 2nd baseman I have ever seen. Watching him and Vizquel in Cleveland was a sight to see. You could not hit a ball near the middle of the infield. I’m so sick of these BBWA’s who believe they are the guardians of all things holy. All these hacks care about is 3,000 hits, 500 home runs, 300 wins. Now that you have younger members of the BBWA they will be comparing the candidates numbers to the steroid era numbers and say they don’t compare.

22. david - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:38 PM

But he did, so he isn’t.

23. crw - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Hall of Fame voting by the fans! Hell no! Look how the All Star voting is all screwed up. One person voting 25+ times – lodoing the ballot box. The players are the only ones that have the knowledge to vote for a player. This is a ridiculous suggestion. However, if the ‘Commish’ gets wind of the suggestion, he might go for it – he’s done other weird things.
    Also no designated hitters in the Hall unles it’s a special category. These players don’t play in the defense, don’t waste energy in the filed and have the distinct advantage over regular players. In short – they don’t put their bodies at rish every inning therefore they don’t belong.

24. mick-7-1961 - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Robbie spit at an UMP…still fresh in the minds of those who vote.
    That one little mistake may keep him out the next time around, also.

25. Jake - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:40 PM

I quit paying any attention to the BBWAA when they failed to elect Roger Maris into the Hall of Fame. I quit paying any attention to the Hall of Fame when they admited the first Steroid Using Junkie in. The Hall of Fame has become as meaningless as the record books. Roger Maris has an asterisk and Barry Bonds doesn’t.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet