Boras is "in the process" of turning his attention to Johnny Damon

Jan 6, 2010, 12:32 PM EDT

I’ve openly questioned how Scott Boras can truly claim to represent Johnny Damon’s interests when he has a much more important free agent client — Matt Holliday — who plays the same position and would likely be in the running to land with the same teams.

Today Boras was on Jim Bowden’s show over at SiriusXM, and he basically admitted that he can’t.  When asked what options Johnny Damon had out there right now, he said this:

“Well, I think the market now after Matt [Holliday] has signed and
Jason Bay has signed is starting to come alive because obviously teams
are, some of the teams that were interested in those players have been
contacting us.  And I am in the process right now of turning my
attention to Johnny’s situation.”

“In the process of turning my attention to Johnny’s situation?”  How could his attention not have been on Johnny’s situation before now?  The past two months have seen Damon’s market crater.  How nice it would have been for him if he had managed to, you know, catch his agent’s attention before today.

1. Josh Fisher - Jan 6, 2010 at 12:34 PM

You really ought to write the Boras book.

2. Charles Gates - Jan 6, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Exactly. The conflict of interest RE: Boras is well documented, but let’s not forget that it’s Damon’s responsibility to manage his agent.

3. YANKEES1996 - Jan 6, 2010 at 12:44 PM

If I were Johnny Damon that would be all I would have to hear. JD should FIRE his dumb a$$ and then reach out to Cash on his own and get a deal with the Yankees done. Scott Boras and agents like him are the greediest portion of the equation and the players need to realize it! These agents do not care about you guys they care about their own pockets and own egoes and there should be no further proof needed.

4. YankeesfanLen - Jan 6, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Now that I’ve commented upon this 17 times over the past few months, I cannot conceive how Johnny is such a rube as to be going along with this.
    Boras is treating Damon as a used car salesman is conniving a ’02 Expedition as a low milage family car.
    Johnny, smooze ARod and call Hal this afternoon.

5. Old Gator - Jan 6, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Boras may indeed be a clam-shaped inguinal orifice, but he is, no matter how you look at it, a practical one most of the time. I think he understood from Day One that Damon, with his cybernetically restored back and knees and his popgun arm that Diego Maradona must find funny, was going to have to sit on the back burner unless Omar Minaya or someone equally credulous was willing to ascend sond-like into the financial oosphere where Boras left Damon in geosynchronous orbit until apparently, yesterday. Well, all of the available idiots discharged their stupidity funds on folks like Jason Kendall instead. Damon’s magic began to leach out of his career the moment he was made Borg and stopped looking like Jesus. Now Boras has to hope that he can unload this particular product at a respectable price. Best of luck to both of them.

6. Moses Green - Jan 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM

No one wanted to offer Damon the kind of money or length of contract that was seeking in the first place. Whoever his agent is, that guy has to wait to see how the market shakes out for big name guys before fishing for big money from the losers on Holliday and Bay – so that argument can’t really be lodged against Boras. By drumming up the best deals possible for his other clients, Boras put Damon and all of the other free agent OF’s in a better position to negotiate lucrative contracts.
    I have a theory about Damon’s chicken-wing. He really throws right handed and he’s just too dense to notice. Someday when he retires he’s going to throw a ball to one of his kids right handed and have a V-8 moment.

7. Fast Eddy - Jan 6, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Well, why did he put Damon on the back burner while he negotiated for Bay and Holliday? I don’t think there is too much interest in JD in the league. Otherwise, he would have been on the front burner and not Bay and Holliday. However, Boras is putting on a good front. How old is Damon? he is probably older than the other two stars.

8. JE - Jan 6, 2010 at 1:05 PM

As you suggest, Craig, the onus is on Damon to ensure that he is receiving the best representation available. A sports agent does not have the same ethical requirements that are imposed upon an attorney.
    By the way, didn’t Boras also have two premier free agent clients playing the same position last year?

9. Charles Gates - Jan 6, 2010 at 1:10 PM

10. Josh - Jan 6, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Wait…Jim Bowden has a radio show? Must be riveting. Is Jose Rijo his co-host?
    I hear what Craig is saying about Damon’s lower priority, but I have to think that Damon is operating under the theory that he is in the OF pecking order right after Bay and Holliday, so he can wait for the market to determine the salaries of those two, and then slot in slightly below them.
    Not to defend Boras, but it’s not as if the agents (and I am assuming that they are NOT Boras) for Jermaine Dye and Vlad Guerrero locked down deals during the time that Boras was supposedly “ignoring” his non-Holliday clients.

11. BrigadePS - Jan 6, 2010 at 1:27 PM

What should Boras have been doing for Damon? There are only certain teams looking to pay for quality outfielders and no one was going to look at Damon until Holliday and Bay were gone. Hopefully, now that Holliday and Bay are signed Damon will wake up from his dream world and sign a one year deal with the Yanks. Maybe $8-10 million or so…

12. Fast Eddy - Jan 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Well, thanks for the info. It is no wonder that there is not much interest. If I were him, I would see what the teams are willing to pay and grab it FAST! They may change their minds. Who wants to sign a 36 yr. old with mixed reviews, to a long term contract? I think a one or two year contract is the best he can hope for.

13. ecp - Jan 6, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Awww. The world’s tiniest violin is playing just for Johnny. It couldn’t happen to a more deserving guy.

14. yankeh8r - Jan 6, 2010 at 3:15 PM

sell your soul to the devil and that’s what you get judas damon.

15. TigerS Boy ToY - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I thought Craig wanted Damon on his Braves team, I guess they can only do that if they dump the rest of Lowe contract on a team wit a dumb General manager. I hope they can’t unload it AND HAVE TO EAT ALL THE CONTRACT FOR BEING SO DUM.

16. Paul - Jan 6, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Craig, I’ve seen lots of your posts that reference the conflict of interest that Boras has here. In his defense, though, what is he supposed to do? Represent only 9 players, one for each position? Structure contracts so that clients sharing a position don’t hit the market at the same time?

17. robinson42 - Jan 6, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Johnny Damon is about as bright as Yanks fan Len.

18. robinson42 - Jan 6, 2010 at 10:06 PM

By the way, Jason Bay and his agent headed straigt for Loserville. It’s like Arod joining the Texas Rangers, accept Arod had 250 million reasons that made it a lot harder to say no to that loser Tom Hicks.

19. buy land in bangalore - Jan 18, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Is it mature period to buy land now? Prices went significanly low, but I dont want to be stuck in an non appreciating market!

20. ILoveLasVegas - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Oh jesus you will not belief this. This mindless puppy actually farted on my arm!? I mean what is the problem with that!? I nourish that thing and I receive this in return. I even now will not belief this. Anyway, you’ve got quite a few interesting information there in your post. I knew Yahoo will take me to some interesting stuff today :) . Ok need to hunt that pet now! Have a nice day you all!

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. J. Hammel (2486)