Jan 6, 2010, 10:25 AM EDT
In the same article that brought us the Chapman report comes word that the it’s looking increasingly unlikely that the Marlins are going to be able to move Dan Uggla. Uggla is arbitration eligible, of course, and as Juan Rodriguez puts it, he’ll “take a huge bite out of
what is expected to be a $40 million payroll.” Not moving Uggla may cause them to trade Jorge Cantu instead.
Not that anyone should have any sympathy for the Marlins. They just got a near billion dollar subsidy from local taxpayers to go with the annual subsidy they get from the other 29 teams in Major League Baseball. As such, the fact that they want to keep their payroll at $40 million — while not a crime exactly — is definitely some sort of civil offense.
Hey Jeff Loria: You may not catch the Phillies, but the wild card race is wide open. You have fans and constituents who just took a major financial gamble on you during the height of the worst recession in modern memory. Maybe it’s worth cutting into that famous profitability of yours and actually try to win some ballgames instead of sitting on your pile of lucre.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)