Jan 6, 2010, 10:25 AM EST
In the same article that brought us the Chapman report comes word that the it’s looking increasingly unlikely that the Marlins are going to be able to move Dan Uggla. Uggla is arbitration eligible, of course, and as Juan Rodriguez puts it, he’ll “take a huge bite out of
what is expected to be a $40 million payroll.” Not moving Uggla may cause them to trade Jorge Cantu instead.
Not that anyone should have any sympathy for the Marlins. They just got a near billion dollar subsidy from local taxpayers to go with the annual subsidy they get from the other 29 teams in Major League Baseball. As such, the fact that they want to keep their payroll at $40 million — while not a crime exactly — is definitely some sort of civil offense.
Hey Jeff Loria: You may not catch the Phillies, but the wild card race is wide open. You have fans and constituents who just took a major financial gamble on you during the height of the worst recession in modern memory. Maybe it’s worth cutting into that famous profitability of yours and actually try to win some ballgames instead of sitting on your pile of lucre.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)