Jan 6, 2010, 10:25 AM EDT
In the same article that brought us the Chapman report comes word that the it’s looking increasingly unlikely that the Marlins are going to be able to move Dan Uggla. Uggla is arbitration eligible, of course, and as Juan Rodriguez puts it, he’ll “take a huge bite out of
what is expected to be a $40 million payroll.” Not moving Uggla may cause them to trade Jorge Cantu instead.
Not that anyone should have any sympathy for the Marlins. They just got a near billion dollar subsidy from local taxpayers to go with the annual subsidy they get from the other 29 teams in Major League Baseball. As such, the fact that they want to keep their payroll at $40 million — while not a crime exactly — is definitely some sort of civil offense.
Hey Jeff Loria: You may not catch the Phillies, but the wild card race is wide open. You have fans and constituents who just took a major financial gamble on you during the height of the worst recession in modern memory. Maybe it’s worth cutting into that famous profitability of yours and actually try to win some ballgames instead of sitting on your pile of lucre.
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 0
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 1
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 12
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 7
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 29
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)