Jan 6, 2010, 11:59 AM EDT
After noting that the Mets, if healthy, will have a lot of guys with some power, Bob Klapisch offers a suggestion:
The Mets don’t appear to be close to any significant upgrades in their starting rotation, so if they want to improve their
run-differential why not maximize their HR quotient by reconfiguring
the ballpark? Doing so would ensure that Bay remains a 30-homer threat, and more importantly, would give Wright a much-needed helping hand . . .
. . . Will it happen? It’s not impossible. Officials plan to see how Bay and
Wright fare in 2010 before bringing in the fences. Wright, in
particular, will be watched closely: With Bay hitting behind him, he’ll
get better pitches to hit and should return to his 33-home run form in
This seems way, way, way premature to me. As has been noted by many, you can’t get a good read on how a park plays after only one season. It usually takes three years for people who care about things like park factors to get reliable data.
As Klapisch notes, David Wright only hit five homers on the road, and that suggests that it wasn’t just architecture that led to his power outage. Even if the park caused Wright to do silly things, isn’t it worth trying to fix Wright’s swing before calling in the contractors.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 6
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 92
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (92)