Jay Mariotti wants to get kicked out of the BBWAA. Hey BBWAA: please do it

Jan 6, 2010, 11:00 AM EST

Jay Mariotti didn’t vote for anyone for the Hall of Fame. Not a single person. He gave his rationale on his ESPN podcast (transcript via Baseball Ink):

I didn’t vote for anybody in the baseball hall of fame this year. Ya know why?  To me…the first ballot is sacred. I think Roberto Alomar is an eventual Hall of Famer, not the first time. Edgar Martinez, designated hitter, eventually, but not the first time. Same goes for maybe Fred McGriff. As far as Blyleven and Dawson…if they haven’t gotten in for years and years I cannot vote them in now. Ripken, Rickey Henderson and Gwynn. They are true first ballot Hall of Famers, but I didn’t vote for anybody, throw me out of the Baseball Writers. I don’t care.

Mariotti isn’t the only voter who imposes the erroneous “first ballots are sacred” rule, but he is its loudest, most self-centered and most obnoxious practitioner.  His other exclusions are even more ridiculous, seeing as though he has previously voted for Blyleven and Dawson.

I suppose I’m not saying anything that hasn’t been said before when I call Mariotti an immature and obnoxious attention whore, but I wish he’d limit his self-aggrandizing shtick to his columns rather than allow it to infect Hall of Fame voting which, no matter what Mariotti thinks of it, is still taken pretty seriously by most of us.

Mariotti ends his rant by saying that he wants to get kicked out of the Baseball Writers Association of America.  By all means writers, give the man what he wants.

In other news, if you just can’t get enough of terrible sports writers and their terrible Hall of Fame ballots, today Patrick Sullivan of Baseball Analysts has a FJM-style takedown of Dan Shaugnessy’s “I know a Hall of Famer when I see it” column from the other day. Good stuff.

1. Moses Green - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Jay Mariotti is a pompous blowhard who has proven himself unworthy of a vote for the HOF. Ending that rant by asking to get kicked out is like the guy who makes a big blustery stupid speech at work, of sufficient ridiculousness to get fired, and then “quits” at the end. Thanks, but you were gone anyway. Please please give his vote to someone who cares about baseball, or at least cares more about doing right by the responsibility of voting.
    Also lets get rid of the rest of the first-ballot sanctity crowd, and assign them a derisive nickname like the Birthers and Tea-Baggers. The No-Firsters? The Me-Firsters? I’m open to suggestions.

2. Charles Gates - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:20 AM

It seems to me that HOF voting is an honor that comes with the responsibility of being a caretaker of baseball. Using your (lack of) vote as an excuse to write a self aggrandizing column to generate page hits is detrimental to the institution you should be trying to up hold.
    I want to see his peers’ reaction to this. If he remains unscathed, the sanctity of the HOF is not receiving the protection it should.

3. YankeesfanLen - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:20 AM

WOW- Mariotti’s logic is not only non-geometric but totally incomprehensible. I have 10 votes and because nobody here is worth a first-round in my eyes….I vote for NO ONE? The bulk of players are worthy only in years, say 3 through 7? Then they’ve been on the ballot too long?
    I’d hate to see this guy at a French restaurant wondering how long the couq au vin has been on the menu.

4. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:27 AM

To all the people hating on Jeff Pearlman: save your spittle and aim it towards Mariotti, will ya?

5. Alex K - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I just ignore Mariotti. His opinion means so little to me that I don’t waste my time.
    That tag is awesome btw. Well played, Craig.

6. TigerS Boy ToY - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I said it before, the writers are bias and they should not
    be voting on Hall of Famers, these writers probably never
    played a sport in their life so they have no idea what it
    takes.Juan Marichal was denied a first ballot election by
    the holier than thou writers because of his bat incident.
    Bert Blyleven 2 world series about 4000 strike outs, 287 wins
    his numbers match up to HOF and if he had Mo Rivera he would
    have an additional 60 wins, check out his complete games,
    shut outs, quality starts, total starts.How about Jack Morris,
    winner od 3 world series,man come on, are you kidding me, no,
    you kidding your self.I wet my pants laughing at these writers,
    i’m surprised they can tie their shoes and actually know their
    socks are to be put on first.Tim Rains numbers are better thean
    Lou Brocks except Brock has 150 more stolen bases.
    Alomar doesn’t get in because he spit in a umpires face IS JUST
    AS BAD AS THE INCIDENT ITSELF.
    ANOTHER JOKE, GARY CARTER WENT IN AS A EXPO WHO ARE NOW THE
    NATIONALS, HE WON HIS CHAMPIONSHIP WITH NEW YORK.
    ROGER CLEMENS SAID “THEY BETTER SEND ME IN AS A YANKEEE, OTHERWISE
    WE WILL HAVE OUR OWN CEREMONY IN TEXAS”.
    HALL OF FAMERS SHOULD VOTE IN HALL OF FAMERS, THEY KNOW WHAT OT
    TAKES, NOT BASEBALL WRITERS

7. Robert - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:46 AM

all hall of famers except Joe Morgan that is.

8. jwb - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Mike Schmidt submitted a blank ballot for the Post-WWII VC, with similar reasoning as Mariotti (not the “first ballot” part, the “they were on the ballot before and didn’t make it” part).

9. Ron - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:56 AM

There are too many players in the HOF already. It should be for the elite player. There should only be one ballot. The player is either deserving or not. His stats do not change from year to year.

10. YankeesfanLen - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Just can’t help yourself with the caps lock? Comeon man!

11. Wouter - Jan 6, 2010 at 12:05 PM

So Mariotti is saying he’s not voting for some guys because they weren’t on the ballot before, and not voting for other guys because they were on the ballot before?

12. YANKEES1996 - Jan 6, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Jay Mariotti = LOSER! This guy is unbelievable his rationale for not voting for guys after their first ballot is insane and so are his reasons for not recognizing the players of this class. You want out Jay? No problem if it was up to me you’re out!
    What needs to happen here is the whole HOF voting thing needs to be restructured. Here is an idea, after 5 years of retirement present the class to all baseball fans and let the fans vote, include a certain number of old timers on the ballot as well. Elect a panel of managers and HOF members and give them the final say on who gets in. That way it takes the votes of the fans and the vote of baseball managers and HOF members to be elected into the Hall. Afterall, who better to elect the future members of the Baseball Hall of Fame than managers, former players who are in the HOF and the fans?

13. Kevin - Jan 6, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I fail to see why all the hate for the “1st time ballot” logic. All these same people also complain that there needs to be a ranking system within the Hall. There is… it is called… “in which ballot did you make it in” ? The surefire HoF’ers get in on the 1st ballot, as they should. The others get in when… and if… they should. Where they get in makes for all the… discussion/debates. No two people are ever going to rank all of the HoF’ers exactly the same.
    Remember… Joe DiMaggio did not make it in until his 3rd year of eligibility. Anyone out there think he is not a deserving 1st-ballot electee ? Joe D. gets in on the 3rd ballot…. Yount and Molitor on the 1st… yeah… good.
    Regardless, there will always be controversy in this area… and I am sure I have ruffled some of those feathers.
    And while we are discussing the absurdities of the Hall, I would love to hear more heat placed on the “writers only” logic. Vince Scully, et al, are not worthy here in the 21st century ? Let’s see what happens when more newspapers fold.
    All for now !!

14. yankeh8r - Jan 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM

writer’s voting is a joke anyway. it’s almost as bad as the fans voting for all-stars. i agree that too many get in and i didn’t see anyone on the ballot that was a lock. sure they were great players – not arguing that in the least, but they aren’t the best of the best.

15. TigerS Boy ToY - Jan 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM

GET OVER IT……

16. TigerS Boy ToY - Jan 6, 2010 at 1:10 PM

SAY IT AIN’T SO JOE, I WASN’T AWARE OF JOE D BEING DENIED, WOW.
    GOD FORBID CRAIG PASS THIS USELESS INFO ON, THANKS CRAIG, HE PROBABLY IS CHECKING TO SEE IF THE BRAVES GOT RID OF DEREK LOWE YET.
    THOSE WRITERS SURE ARE A BRIGHT BUNCH.
    Kevin, how about Ted Williams, did he wait too.
    YankeesfanLen, SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS, I GUESS
    YOU WON’T BE READING MY POST.
    One quick point, maybe the fact every retired player is allowed
    on the ballot is one problem.

17. Steve T - Jan 6, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Well, now that the results are out and you see that Blyleven just missed out Mariotti’s blank card looks even more ridiculous. I’m not sure how much each vote counts, but it could be possible that Jay’s non-vote cost him a spot in the Hall.
    Honestly, not voting should be cause for revoking your vote.

18. The Noodle - Jan 6, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Dimaggio was on the ballot before he had been retired 5 years, and some writers refuised to vote for a guy until he had been retired 5 years. Once he hit the 5 year ‘waiting period’ he got in.
    Now of course the rule is that no one is on the ballot until 5 years post-retirement (except guys who die in humantiarian-aide plane crashes).

19. David - Jan 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM

So, we can’t elect players because the first ballot is sacred. We can’t elect other players because they should have been voted in already. Congratulations, Mr. Mariotti. You are the most stultifying baseball mind on the planet.

20. LWFS - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:29 PM

That’s the Veterans’ Committee, my friend. And if you think WRITERS are biased… hoo boy.

21. Kevin - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Tiger,
    Ted was elected in his first year. The rules were different back when Joe was elected. From 1946 until 1954, there was a one year waiting period; at that time, they implemented the 5-yr waiting period. Joe retired in ’51, and was finally elected in ’55, being able to bypass, per se, the 5-yr period because he fell under the 1-yr period when first retired.
    Until they do come up with a way to rank HoF’ers, the only way to do it via the ballot # on which they are elected. Man…. trying to set up a ranking system in the Hall would sure start some discussions, wouldn’t it ?!?
    And all of this is IMHO, of course :)

22. Jim Casey - Jan 6, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Anyone who has a ballot and sends in a blank should not get another one, and their “ballot” should not count as part of the percentage required for a player to be elected. Blyleven was 5 votes short, and there were five blank ballots sent in. If those ballots were removed from the total would he have 75%? If so, he should be in. Mariotti, as it turns out, is exactly who Ozzie Guillen said he is. Hopefully the next time he is out on the town, some young punk will beat him stupid.

23. schmiggs - Jan 6, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I agree with Jim Casey. If you send in a blank ballot you shouldn’t get to vote again regardless. With how close it was for Alomar and the massively overlooked Bert Blyleven his ballot and the other 4 ballots could have made the difference.

24. LWFS - Jan 6, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Minus 4 ballots, Blyleven’s in (assuming they round up), with 74.9% of the vote (400/534). Alomar just misses, again (397/534, or 74.3%).

25. Steve A - Jan 7, 2010 at 12:19 AM

I disagree with you that a writer with a blank ballot should lose his vote in the future. Where’s the anger over the person who voted for David Segui? What’s the difference? The bigger issue is the anonymous nature of the vote. All ballots should be published. That will force accountability of the voters.
    Mariotti should be ripped because of his reason for voting for no one, not because he voted for no one. By making all the ballots public, the Hall of Fame and the BBWAA can weed out those that truly don’t care enough to take their privilege seriously.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3236)
  2. J. Kang (3093)
  3. C. McGehee (2807)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2784)
  5. J. Upton (2769)