The Cardinals are "intrigued" by Miguel Tejada

Jan 6, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT

With Matt Holliday in the fold for a gabillion dollars and an extension to Pujols in the offing, it’s not like they have a ton of room to work, but given that their current front runner for the third base job appears to have some issues taking care of himself, it’s not crazy for St. Louis to think about someone else at the hot corner.

Enter Miguel Tejada, with whom Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Distpatch says the Cardinals have “been intrigued.”

It would definitely have to be a short, low money deal for the St. Louis to want to do it, but Tejada could certainly be a useful part of a Cardinal team that appears poised to win the Central division.  They could certainly use the depth, and even if David Freese does stick at third, the fact that Tejada can still probably play some shortstop in a pinch might make him an attractive target.

1. Shely - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Tejada only as a utility player. I don’t think he can be an every day player at third and contribute. They can’t pay too much for that kind of player. If they think he can replace a Scott Rolen with him at 3rd base, they are nuts. We have Rolen on a long term contract.

2. YankeesfanLen - Jan 6, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Still have my Cards cap from ’04, and would like them to have a strong team. I’ve gone to more Cubs games, in the time, and am convinced that they are milking the “lovable losers” for more than what it’s worth. They adopted that after a tough fight with a certain AL team during the first decade of this century and seem to forget that, in the Midwest, they have a nicely rounded group down I-55, even though they need a minimum of 5 pitchers a game to do it.

3. Curious George - Jan 6, 2010 at 12:24 PM

“We have Rolen on a long term contract.”

Am I missing something fundemental in your comments? Rolen is on the Reds.

4. APBA Guy - Jan 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Miggy hit .795 OPS as a SS last year, with reasonable power. As a potential 3B, he’d need to react more, which may not be his strongest attribute. Still, he can probably play a passable 3rd.
    What teams have to look out for is the increase in Miggy mass. Those of us who see the younger Miggy on CSN Bay Area classic games and compare that to the current Miggy are too aware that Miggy’s fondness for Morton’s (he was a regular at the Morton’s Inner Harbor when in Baltimore) has exceeded his training table discipline.
    I’d worry more about his waistline than I would about his defense.

5. Shely - Jan 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM

No kidding. I am a Reds fan. I said if the Cards think they can replace Rolen with Tejada, we got him. (We) is the Reds.

6. Curious George - Jan 6, 2010 at 1:16 PM

“I said if the Cards think they can replace Rolen with Tejada, we got him.”
    Ah, I couldn’t see your Reds hat from here. I don’t think the Cards’ expectations are any loftier than hoping to field a league-average third baseman, to mitigate the potential of a positional sinkhole. Tejada could be that, but at what price?
    Oh, and that’s not exacty Rolen you have… more like the ghost of Rolen past.

7. Shely - Jan 6, 2010 at 1:44 PM

At least wee are on the same page.

8. Cardsfan21 - Jan 6, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Yeah Rolen was probably the best third baseman the cards have had in a while, but he is on the reds for a reason.lol. No one wants him now. He is my favorite player and will always be, but he is defiantly not the same player he was when he was with the cards..lol. I think Miguel would be a perfect fit for the cards, especially after losing DeRosa.

9. cardsfan21 - Jan 6, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Yeah Rolen was probably the best third baseman the cards have had in a while, but he is on the reds for a reason.lol. No one wants him now. He is my favorite player and will always be, but he is defiantly not the same player he was when he was with the cards..lol. I think Miguel would be a perfect fit for the cards, especially after losing Derosa.

10. Prosolution Pills - Jan 11, 2010 at 5:06 AM

Usually I do not post on blogs, but I would like to say that this blog really forced me to do so! Thanks, really nice post.

11. bryan - Jan 19, 2010 at 6:34 AM

ummm…Rolen left our team several years ago, what are you talking about? haha

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3863)