Yankees, Mets not in on Chapman

Jan 6, 2010, 5:05 PM EST

We read this morning that the Blue Jays and Angels are the front runners for Aroldis Chapman.  Still, when it comes to big name free agents and the New York teams, you have to go by slasher-flick rules: they’re not dead until they’re really, really, really definitely dead.

Buster Olney says that as far as Chapman is concerned, the Mets and Yankees are really, really, really definitely dead.

In light of that, you may now commence having the hot stove league equivalent of awkward 1970s movie sex down by the lake at the abandoned summer camp, because absolutely nothing unexpected can happen now.

1. Dan - Jan 6, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Great analogy!

2. YANKEES1996 - Jan 6, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I will give you a name to explain why the Yankees should not be involved with Chapman… o.k., here it is Kei Igawa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. YankeesfanLen - Jan 6, 2010 at 6:05 PM

This time, I’m not responding because the magic word was used and the duck came down.
    Just savoring sex by the lake at an abandoned summer camp in the 70s. Please tag it this way (you’ve done worse)

4. Adam Adkins - Jan 6, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Well, you can never take Yankee rumors about “disinterest” at face value. Let there be no question, if the Yankees want Aroldis Chapman, they will have him.
    Being secretive about it is just a way to keep the price down.
    And, Chapman != Kei Igawa. Chapman is a prospect, Igawa was supposed to be a starting pitcher in the bigs from the get-go.

5. latgman67 - Jan 7, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Let me get this straight, both teams from NY are not interested, because of money. I`m a Met fan and what I don`t understand is why not give this guy the money now. The Mets need pitching, invest now for the future. So he wants 50 Million, guy has all the raw talent, and with some good coaching will probably be an Ace someday. So the Mets pass today because it is too expensive, but tomorrow when he hits the free agency will have to shell out 100 Million and compete with the likes of the Yankees and Red Sox for his service. Like we have a chance in that scenario with this GM and Ownership. I just don`t get the logic here.

6. Charles Gates - Jan 7, 2010 at 9:01 AM

The difference between investing in a prospect and a free agent is payoff risk. Despite a 100mph fastball, Chapman may never be a ML caliber pitcher. (Don’t believe me? Look up the value of my Todd Van Poppel rookie card…) If that’s the case, the upfront cost is lost. When Chapman becomes a free agent, he’ll have a track record so the expected results carry less risk. The FA might cost more per year, but there’s reduced performance variability.

7. BoKnowsBoston - Jan 7, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Igawa was a scouting and signing mistake, no doubt, but to compare him to Chapman isn’t fair. Chapman is a lefty who (as far as we know) is younger and throws much harder. My understanding is that Igawa is a finesse pitcher. Chapman has the potential to be an ace.

8. Mabel Ciccarello - Jan 17, 2010 at 4:11 AM

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the latest stuff you post.

9. Ulysses Broenneke - Jan 17, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3944)
  2. J. Kang (3383)
  3. J. Upton (2914)
  4. C. McGehee (2858)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2829)
  1. M. Kemp (2771)