Jan 7, 2010, 7:55 AM EDT
The champions of U.S. Major League Baseball could face the champions
of Japanese professional baseball in a regular Global World Series
under a plan being discussed by the two countries.
meetings with Japanese commissioner Ryozo Kato in Milwaukee, MLB
commissioner Bud Selig proposed that the Japanese and U.S. champions
play each other, the Nikkansports newspaper reported Thursday.
According to the story, Selig would like to see this happen before his tenure ends, which will be 2012 unless he pulls another Favre.
Cool if they can pull this off, but I have a hard, hard time seeing this actually happening, however, mostly because of pitcher use issues. Are the Yankees really going to want to see CC Sabathia pitch 200+ regular season innings, then 40 more innings in the playoffs, and then fly to Japan and pitch another 15-20 innings against Yomiuri? And if they’re not going to use the best of the best, what’s the point?
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59