Jonathan Papelbon is awesome

Jan 7, 2010, 1:45 PM EST

Papelbon 2.jpgJonathan Papelbon sat down for an interview with ESPN Boston’s Gordon Edes and the subject of his soon-to-arrive son came up.  And I gotta tell ya, I’m really starting to take a shine to Jonathan Papelbon:

Papelbon’s wife, Ashley, is
pregnant with the couple’s second child, a brother for toddler daughter
Parker. The child is due in April.
“Got a name picked out,”
Papelbon says. “Gunner Roberts.” The significance? “Nothing, man. Just a
badass name, so we went with it.’

Jay from Fack Youk, who shot me the link, has a list of rejected Junior Papelbon names.  I’m going to talk to the wife about changing my boy’s name to “Rambo Rocky Calcaterra” as soon as she comes home from work.

In other news, Papelbon had no idea that the Red Sox had signed John Lackey until the team trainer told him the other day. He didn’t know about the Cameron, Beltre or Kotchman deals until he sat down for the interview.  There’s some interesting byplay about young Daniel Bard maybe taking his job someday. From what I can gather, the Sox could probably just tell Papelbon that the eighth inning is the ninth inning and vice-versa and he wouldn’t know the difference, thereby averting any controversy.

Anyway, like the lady said, the world is made for people who aren’t cursed with self-awareness.  Or any sort of awareness, really.

1. Ray - Jan 7, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Papelbon is a great pitcher, but man does he love to talk. He is like the new Curt Schilling – He just doesn’t know where the “off” switch is. Despite the bravado that he presents, I think he has serious confidence issues. I cannot count how many times he has compared himself to Mariano Rivera. It is getting a little ridiculous. Everyone knows Papelbon is a great closer, but he needs to constantly compare himself to the greatest of all time to remind everyone “I’m really good too!”
    Now, his comments about Bard are similar – Clearly Papelbon is the closer, not Bard, but Papelbon seems to hear footsteps and appears to feel seriously threatened by them.
    It is great to be ultra-competitive on the mound, but I think his ultra-competitive nature off the mound is going to come back and bite him in the long run.

2. billybill - Jan 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Let us know how you feel when Bard replaces him and he replaces the retired Mo.

3. Ray - Jan 7, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Come on now. He will never replace Mariano Rivera. But he has been comparing himself to Mo since he was his second year in the league – not quite there yet.
    As for Bard, one of the reasons the Sox would be so willing to move on from Papelbon, is because he is so difficult. If you could have a great young pitcher that doesn’t shoot his mouth off every five minutes, the decision gets a lot easier.

4. Ray - Jan 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Actually BillyBill, I may have misunderstood part of your post the first time around. I thought you meant that Papelbon might replace Mo as the greatest closer of all time – I don’t see that happening. Now I realize that you likely meant that he will replace Mo as closer of the Yankees. That is certainly a possibility. Sorry bout that.

5. Evan - Jan 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I’d wager a lot more money on Hughes replacing Rivera. Papelbon is a good closer, but I question his staying power.
    The major difference between him and Rivera (besides experiences/stats) is that hitters have known for a long time what Rivera was going to throw them. Still, they find VERY limited success. When Papelbon was new, he found immense success by throwing hard and then getting hitters to chase his splitter or high heat. Last year, hitters exposed Papelbon by being patient. They forced him into long counts and got good pitches to hit. Meanwhile, Rivera can paint the whole strike zone with his cutter and you’re lucky to get a broken bat bloop hit. Papelbon is a good closer but I don’t think he’ll have the staying power to be an all-time great.

6. Moses Green - Jan 7, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Love Papelbon, top-5 lunatic among current players.

7. Josh - Jan 7, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Thank God he didn’t go with “Fireball Roberts” or “Honus Wagner.” My top baby names are still safe!
    Oops.

8. GimmeSomeSteel - Jan 7, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I’d like to see someone name their kid Pirate Roberts.

9. aceshigh - Jan 7, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Big Sox fan here, but Pap was EXPOSED big-time last year, and the results were not pretty.
    Now, some of you will point to his ERA and his WHIP and the number of saves…sure, impressive stats, but if you actually WATCHED the majority of Sox games last year, then you saw a Papelbon who was nowhere near his ’07-’08 form…
    …lots of walks, lots of extra-base hits, and LOTS of tightrope situations that he wiggled out of to earn his saves. He was the Dice-K of closers last year.
    The days of him mowing down guys 1-2-3 are over, and if he doesn’t re-gain the motion on his fastball, develop additional pitches, or learn some finesse as he ages, he will not even be close to a dominant closer within 2 or 3 years, if not sooner.

10. Ralph Kramden - Jan 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Papelbon is a big bedazzler.

11. billybill - Jan 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM

You are correct Ray.I mean the Yanks sign him after Mo is retired.Also,after he retires,I think the Yankees should erect a statue of Mo at The Stadium.He is truly one of the great Yankees of all time.He made the championships of the 90’s and 2000 happen.Without him,maybe not.Plus he’s pure class!Papelbon can’t replace that.

12. holiday rentals - Jan 13, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Just seen on the news about Haiti – very sad, my prayers are with them.

13. msgirl - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:17 PM

You should try living by Paps and his WONDERFUL wife….thank goodness they are in Boston most of the year!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester