Jan 7, 2010, 5:31 PM EST
After a couple of months of looking like the guy who would be left without a seat in the great closer musical chairs game of 2009-2010, Jose Valverde finally has some offers according to Yahoo!’s Tim Brown. Four to be precise, including one from the Tigers and one from the Diamondbacks. MLB Trade Rumors notes that the Blue Jays, Marlins, A’s and Pirates could all use an experienced closer like Valverde, but that none of them seem poised to pay him what he probably wants.
For the record, here are the notable closer deals so far this winter, in most to least palatable contracts:
- Mike Gonzalez, Orioles, two years, $12 million;
- Billy Wagner, Braves, one year, $7 million;
- Fernando Rodney, Angels, two years, $11 million;
- Brandon Lyon, Astros, three years, $15 million.
I figure that Valverde wouldn’t get a multi-year deal, but you never know what the Tigers are going to do. Let’s pull one year, $5 million with some incentives out of our rear, shall we?
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)