Jan 7, 2010, 5:31 PM EDT
After a couple of months of looking like the guy who would be left without a seat in the great closer musical chairs game of 2009-2010, Jose Valverde finally has some offers according to Yahoo!’s Tim Brown. Four to be precise, including one from the Tigers and one from the Diamondbacks. MLB Trade Rumors notes that the Blue Jays, Marlins, A’s and Pirates could all use an experienced closer like Valverde, but that none of them seem poised to pay him what he probably wants.
For the record, here are the notable closer deals so far this winter, in most to least palatable contracts:
- Mike Gonzalez, Orioles, two years, $12 million;
- Billy Wagner, Braves, one year, $7 million;
- Fernando Rodney, Angels, two years, $11 million;
- Brandon Lyon, Astros, three years, $15 million.
I figure that Valverde wouldn’t get a multi-year deal, but you never know what the Tigers are going to do. Let’s pull one year, $5 million with some incentives out of our rear, shall we?
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (98)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)