Jan 7, 2010, 5:31 PM EDT
After a couple of months of looking like the guy who would be left without a seat in the great closer musical chairs game of 2009-2010, Jose Valverde finally has some offers according to Yahoo!’s Tim Brown. Four to be precise, including one from the Tigers and one from the Diamondbacks. MLB Trade Rumors notes that the Blue Jays, Marlins, A’s and Pirates could all use an experienced closer like Valverde, but that none of them seem poised to pay him what he probably wants.
For the record, here are the notable closer deals so far this winter, in most to least palatable contracts:
- Mike Gonzalez, Orioles, two years, $12 million;
- Billy Wagner, Braves, one year, $7 million;
- Fernando Rodney, Angels, two years, $11 million;
- Brandon Lyon, Astros, three years, $15 million.
I figure that Valverde wouldn’t get a multi-year deal, but you never know what the Tigers are going to do. Let’s pull one year, $5 million with some incentives out of our rear, shall we?
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)