Jan 7, 2010, 5:31 PM EDT
After a couple of months of looking like the guy who would be left without a seat in the great closer musical chairs game of 2009-2010, Jose Valverde finally has some offers according to Yahoo!’s Tim Brown. Four to be precise, including one from the Tigers and one from the Diamondbacks. MLB Trade Rumors notes that the Blue Jays, Marlins, A’s and Pirates could all use an experienced closer like Valverde, but that none of them seem poised to pay him what he probably wants.
For the record, here are the notable closer deals so far this winter, in most to least palatable contracts:
- Mike Gonzalez, Orioles, two years, $12 million;
- Billy Wagner, Braves, one year, $7 million;
- Fernando Rodney, Angels, two years, $11 million;
- Brandon Lyon, Astros, three years, $15 million.
I figure that Valverde wouldn’t get a multi-year deal, but you never know what the Tigers are going to do. Let’s pull one year, $5 million with some incentives out of our rear, shall we?
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)